Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Varicoceles in scrotum - inguinal hernia ?

Hello,

I have an inguinal hernia that started a while ago. At the same time that the hernia presented itself and became painful, my scrotum also became enlarged. It turns out there are varicoceles in the scrotum. One testicle is enlarged and there are visible veins through the scrotal skin. It was not there before and I never had pain like this until the hernia started.

Can an inguinal hernial cause vericoceles in the testes? Also, if the hernia is repaired and the vericoceles are not, can the vericoceles problem become worse, either immediately or over time?

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Dr. Robert Wascher
|

User Profile
replied August 2nd, 2009
Varicocele is a common problem in males, and may co-exist with inguinal hernias (which are also common). Varicoceles are often surgically treated in cases where patients have a lot of discomfort, or in cases where there are concerns that they may be interfering with fertility.

In very rare cases, varicoceles can arise due to malignancies in the genitourinary tract (especially on the left side).

You should probably seek a consultation with a urologist prior to undergoing inguinal hernia surgery, for further advice on the management of your varicocele.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

http://doctorwascher.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.