Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Vagina fishy smell

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
These past couple of days I have been having a fishy vagina odor and my boyfriend told me today that it smells like fish. Usually my vagina does not have a smell at all. It all started when I came off my period and I was contipated I do not know what can be starting this odor but it is really getting on nerves and I just want it to go away. I thought that it could had been a yeast infection and bought some monoistate but that didn't help it so what could it possibly be can some one please help me please.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper guest71401
|

replied July 26th, 2008
Experienced User
All vagina's (and penis's) have the potential to smell like fish if they are not well cleaned, I'm not saying that you are not washing but sometimes you can wash too much....one shower or bath a day is enough....if you wash too many times in the same day then you can upset your natural PH balance of your vagina leading to thrush, infections and a sore vagina.So if you wash more than once a day then this could be your problem....It also could be that you are for some reason sweating more or even I have heard changed your diet drastically. Some medications like anti-biotics could have an affect or if you have been ill recently. Your period also can play a factor...Try wearing loose fabrics and if possible don't wear knickers to bed at night..let your vagina breath. In England we have a product called fem fresh so maybe there is something like that you could buy....its a womans soap free wash made for the vagina.Hope this helps.Jade.
|

replied July 26th, 2008
Vagina Fish Smell
I am thinking about taking a herbal cleasner to clean my colon and all of the junk food out of me but what do u think I should do if the smell does not go away is there something that the doctors can give you for the smell.
|

User Profile
replied July 27th, 2008
Experienced User
Fish smell is a sign of not goodness. I would agree with PregMumof2, it's probably a sign of cleanliness. NOT a sign of you being dirty...but, your vagina is crabby about something.

Soaps can easily irritate a vagina. I used to use really flowery, fruity smelling stuff...and I paid for that one! Not only did I get 2329034872938 yeast infections a month, but the smell was none too pleasant. Start washing with a regular bar of soap or something (Dove is nice, Summer's Eve is nothing but vaginal safe products!).

If the smell doesn't go away, see a doc. They will be able to help you identify what is up, and help you get rid of it.

Good luck!
|

replied July 27th, 2008
Could it be bv
Thank you so much guys you all have been really helpful. But I was wondering could it be BV because I have read some of the post on here and there situation are so similar to my situation but mines smells like fish before sex and worse after sex. At first I thought that it was a yeat infection so I used some 3 day monistat but that didnt help at all. Is monistat suppose to treat BV to?
|

replied July 28th, 2008
help again
my vagina haves like a mustard smell not a fishy smell and it smells after sex and my boyfriend said that its a mustard smell. I took some acidophlius and folic acid does the mustard smell makes a difference or does vagina's have any odor when there is a effection besides a fishy smell.
|

replied July 28th, 2008
i have tha same problem....its after i have sex too....its a real bad odor....i dont know wat it is but i have an app for tha dr. so i could find out wat it is....if i was u i would go to ur dr.

Jen
|

replied July 28th, 2008
Experienced User
Have you ever noticed that "sex" itself has a strange odour.....I have spoken to friends about this aswell and they have said that it sometimes smells like bacon being grilled....have you ever thought also that it might not be you smelling after sex but the smell of your man on your own vagina....penis's can have a very strong smell sometimes....especially after sex, even if they are clean.very Musky smell.
|

replied August 4th, 2008
BV
TLE: It is never normal to have a fishy odor to one's vaginal discharge. I recommend, if you haven't done so already, to visit your gynecologist/nurse practitioner/women's clinic to have it evaluated. Monistat, which is for yeast treatment, will not clear up a BV infection, and there are no treatments for BV available over-the-counter at this time.
|
Users who thank 2gano for this post: shawneliselapomarda 

replied April 22nd, 2009
ron5053
i have been having a fishy orde anf a brown like discharge from vagina but i only smell it when i urinate
|

replied July 29th, 2009
sounds like Trich. go see the doctor.
I have a smell after sex sometimes too, some days ok then not.... I was tested for BV, all sexually transmitted deseases, papsmear , yest.... and nothing
what the hell is that,
I wash myself everday with water and only soap outside.
|

User Profile
replied December 20th, 2013
Vagina Discharge and Odor
I once had fecal matter discharge from my vagina, with a certain diarrhea-like consistency. And this is an actual condition which can be serious of even life-threatening. Always consult a medical professional when a foul odor or unusual discharge is present. Not to be overly simplistic, but bad smells are a warning sign of a bad condition.
|