Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Uvula abnormalities

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
User Profile
hello, my name is Karmit I have a question reguarding my son. He is almost three years old, I recently noticed his uvula is conected to his right tonsil. What is the meaning of it? Is there anything to be worried about?
thank you for your time.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 9th, 2009
Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Answer A7806
You would like to know whether there is something to worry about if your son’s uvula is connected to his right tonsil.

The uvula is a small “V”-shaped extension of the soft palate that hangs over the tongue at the entrance to the throat. Normally the uvula is separated from the tonsils. In certain situations such as peritonsilar or retropharyngeal abscess the uvula is pushed aside towards the healthy tonsil.

You may consider seeing an otorhinolaryngologist for further diagnosis and treatment options. You may consider taking your son to surgery to have the uvula separated from the tonsil if the condition is congenital or to have the abscess drained in case he is diagnosed with this condition.

Please keep in mind that I am trying to provide you with medical information here. I am not able to give you medical advice online. Please contact your doctor or a qualified healthcare provider such as an otorhinolaryngologist to learn more about diagnosis and treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.