Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

UTI causing false positive ?

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Can a UTI or Kidney Infection cause False positive on a pregnancy test??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 21st, 2009
Community Volunteer
I don't believe so...
|

replied April 21st, 2009
-
I REALLY need to know if a Kidney infection/ UTI can cause a FALSE POSITIVE?? =Sad

My sister was admitted to the hospital this early morning for a fever of 102.5, and she took two Positive Pregnancy test and got two Positives, one on Thurs or Fri and then again on Sunday....

The nurse told her she's NOT Pregnant, and only has an infection, but the nurse couldn't explain the two Positive Pregnancy test...... She lost her baby Last August, and she's "claiming" she's prego again the same time as last time. She'll be very upset if she is not.
|

replied February 19th, 2010
Pregnant or not?
The hormone levels can be up for a very long time. If she miscarried last August there is a possibility she may need a D&C. Sounds like she still still remnants of the fetus inside her uterus. She needs to consult a OB/GYN
|

replied February 20th, 2010
Experienced User
I don't believe it is possible for uti infection to cause positive on HCG test.
If she had a miscarriage in Aug the year before it highly unlikely that she would still have enough hcg in her system to get a positive in the April. Personally i think she might be pregnant again.
|