Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

UTI and inflamed vagina

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
I'm a 38 year old woman.I recently started a relationship with only my 2nd sex partner,my first 6 years ago.We had unsafe sex in mid Jan.On Jan 30th I had a period for 4 days as usual,though I was 5 days late-normal for me.Feb 15th I had 1 week of v.low abdo pain which relieved after taking buscopan.I had another short period on March 4th, again late.15th Jan I had left side abdo/colon pain and a bloated stomach which again went with buscopan.From March 15th- 19th my stomach stayed very bloated.On March 19th I began to have mucousy,brown discharge when wiping. It was vaginal as a tampon showed brown,thick discharge.I also had griping abdo pain. After a dip urine a UTI was diagnosed. I was given co amoxiclav for 1 wk.The discharge went but was back 26th March.I was given antibiotics again, a swab taken(my vagina was inflamed) and am awaiting a scan.The discharge went then was back April 1st.This time it was blood red.My period was also due.Today,the blood has stopped. Please help!!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2010
Menstruation Answer A11066
Thank you for your question on ehealthforum.com

Bleeding interspersed with discharge and pain; bloating sensations do suggest that they are related to infection. It is very much possible that you also have vaginitis with your brown discharge. Antibiotic seems to have helped in UTI, but you may need treatment for your discharge. Scan will help in identifying any pathology causing the bleeding. If infection is confirmed, naturally it will require antibiotic treatment again. Fungal and protozoal infections may be possible too. Your sex partner also needs examination and tests. Thank you.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.