Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

upper (mid) abdominal pain - all tests normal.

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
I have been suffering from very sharp upper abdominal pain for about 6 months. It started off as what I thought was food related. About 1 hr after eating, I'd get these sharp pains that felt like swords were stabbing me from the inside out about 3 inches above my belly button. Nothing could give me relief; I'd just have to wait anywhere between 10 mins to 2 hrs curled in a ball for the pain to pass. I never considered myself an unhealthy eater to begin with, but I then changed my diet to eating very little amounts (wasn't sure if it had to do with the fullness of my stomach), only crackers, rice, soup etc., and saw a GI doctor. He did blood work that came back normal, and an endoscopy that came back as mild Gastritis and Esophagitis and put me on a prescription for Dexilant (similar to Nexium I think) once a day. After a few weeks the pain let up and I slowly eased back into normal food (still healthy foods and not much alcohol), but then out of the blue last week I woke up with a stomach ache that progressively got worse and more intense throughout the day. By about 1 o'clock I had this terrible stomach ache that turned into these attacks every 15 minutes or so where my entire stomach had this sharp sword-like stabbing feeling, almost spasming... like a charlie horse or something, but sharper and in the upper middle part of my abdomen. This would let up a bit and then suddenly an even sharper, more intense attack 15 minutes later. After hours of excruciating, tumbled over, screaming, contraction-like pain, I was rushed to the ER where they admitted me overnight with morphine drip for the pain. Long story short (or am I already too late for that? they released me without doing any tests because no GI doctor could come see me to order them. So I saw my GI doctor the next day who sent me to have a CT scan and a HIDA scan with cck, both which came back normal. Still now, a week later, my stomach just doesn't feel right. It feels much better than that attack I had, but I can't live with these "normal" results because I'm scared to death it's going to happen again at any moment! I hate how doctors offices call you and say your test was "normal" and hang up as if that's it. Has anyone else experienced attacks like this? Most people I talk to jump to the gallbladder as the cause, but so many tests have said it's fine. Plus my pain is in the upper middle, not the upper right quadrant. Any ideas what this might be? I'm seeing my doctor in 2 weeks for a follow up, but I'm scared he's out of things to test! Any ideas/ similar situations?? I'm scared to set it off again and I don't even know what does it!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile npain1013
|

replied November 10th, 2011
Hi it sounds like it could be abdominal Migraines I have recently found out about these as I have had similar problems but was ruled out for me also IBS do you suffer diarrhea? Other option is stress response you can get councilling to help with this. Don't know if helps at all but few options I have similar problem definate pain but with all normal test results its really annoying!! Good luck
|

replied December 8th, 2011
i have the same exact pain and have been rushed to the ER as well. i am an 18 year old female and every test has come back normal. when i was 15 i had an upper GI done, normal. i was in the ER this past march for the same excruciating pain with a fever and pain urinating. also, the pain radiated to the back of my ribcage. in the hospital i had blood work, urinalysis, xrays and morphine. nothing helped & everything came back normal. two weeks later i was sent for a ct scan, normal. about two weeks ago i went for an ultrasound to see if it was my gallbladder? ...nope, normal. today i went for the gastroscopy, apparently everything looked fine. i think they did a biopsy to look for bacteria, and ill get my results back in a few days. im scared of the pain. its usually almost all day everyday. ive lost 30 lbs in a year since this pain has gotten so bad. no one can figure out what is going on and i just want relief. no antacid has ever worked for me and id like to at least know what is the main cause so i can avoid it, and finally get some treatment. good luck. i hope you find out whats wrong soon, i feel your pain;(
|

replied January 11th, 2012
Hi everyone, sorry to hear about your pains and the lack of a clear diagnosis. I have a very similar experience. I am a 43 year old male, I work out 5 time a week, don't smoke, very occasional drinker (once overy three months or so) eat healthy and I am in very good shape. I have every test done under the book (my dr. Calls me the million dollar man because of all the tests) they all come back normal, which is good. My question would be do you have any increased stress lately? The reason I ask is because I am seeing a clear pattern in my symptoms when I am feeling more stressed. The irony is that feeling the symptoms make me feel MORE stressed. This all started happening two years ago when the company I worked for after 15 years went out of business. I didn't have any lapse in employment thank god but I can pinpoint the date to about 2 months after that happening. I am trying to reduce the stress (far easier said then done) and I am also going to try a gluten free diet for three weeks to see if that works. One word of caution, the Internet is an awesome tool for finding information, but it can scare the hell out of you as well. They might be frustrating and could use a course in customer support, but stick with your doctors they really are the only true source of information
|

replied January 11th, 2012
Hi everyone, sorry to hear about your pains and the lack of a clear diagnosis. I have a very similar experience. I am a 43 year old male, I work out 5 time a week, don't smoke, very occasional drinker (once overy three months or so) eat healthy and I am in very good shape. I have every test done under the book (my dr. Calls me the million dollar man because of all the tests) they all come back normal, which is good. My question would be do you have any increased stress lately? The reason I ask is because I am seeing a clear pattern in my symptoms when I am feeling more stressed. The irony is that feeling the symptoms make me feel MORE stressed. This all started happening two years ago when the company I worked for after 15 years went out of business. I didn't have any lapse in employment thank god but I can pinpoint the date to about 2 months after that happening. I am trying to reduce the stress (far easier said then done) and I am also going to try a gluten free diet for three weeks to see if that works. One word of caution, the Internet is an awesome tool for finding information, but it can scare the hell out of you as well. They might be frustrating and could use a course in customer support, but stick with your doctors they really are the only true source of information
|

replied June 10th, 2013
Abdominal pain.
I have the same problem. It's been going on for about 6 or 7 months. I have no idea what it's from and my doctor says I'm fine! And sends me home. It gets really irritating that they won't figure out the problem they just sent me home it gets so bad that I can't even curl up I stuck laying extremely straight with my entire body tensed up Nd I can't move for like 10 or 15 minutes. These attacks are becoming more frequent like as much as 2 or 3 times a day. Before it would hurt every day but I only had an attack like that maybe once a day give or take some. Sometimes I'm even scared for my life.
|

replied October 30th, 2013
I'm 18 and in my freshman year of college now and my stomach pains started when i was a freshman in high school. its been 4 years of constant nausea, severe stomach pains in my entire abdomen and last year it started in my back around where my kidneys are and along my spine. they did every test imaginable. They did have to take my gall bladder out because it only worked at 40% but that didn't stop the pain. also in my first colonoscopy they found ulcers but those didn't give any insight to what was wrong and when i had my second colonoscopy there were no ulcers and everything was completely normal. also they did an endoscopy and that was normal too. it's just really frustrating because since they can't find anything wrong the doctors started to think i wasn't serious and that it was all in my head so all they do is give me pain medication that doesnt work and send me home.i just want to know whats wrong because it's ruining my life. sometimes when theres an attack it can last for 3-5 days straight and i can barely leave the bed to go to the bathroom let alone go to my classes. it already ruined my grades and gpa in high school, i dont want it to ruin things in college too. and i know it's not my diet because i eat strictly healthy and i've taken out every possible food group..meat, dairy, grains(gluten free). and on my own i completely cut out sweets and desserts. i just dont know how long my body can take this for, im always afraid i wont wake up in the morning because of it.
|

User Profile
replied November 25th, 2013
Get checked for UTI, pancreatitis, and liver levels. I had my gall bladder removed 4 years ago and the abdominal problems for 3 yrs. I have dubbed the not so wonderful life ruiners "pain attacks" squeezing, twisting dull but still sharp, pain coming from inside out. Mine will travel up into my chest and shoulder and then around to the back. they can wake me up in the middle of the night or hit me driving to work, eating - not eating, very very random and some are more intense than others. My daughter calls me a frog when they happen sometimes and they are really severe cause that is the position that feels best. I have a high pain tolerance so morphine didn't phase it so they had to give me dilauded. As for abdominal migraines I serious think docs have started making that up because they can't explain our pains.
|

replied January 19th, 2014
I'm experiencing the same issues. I had my gallbladder removed in October 2011. In April 2013, I began having the 1st of what I call "intense pain attacks" in my right side. The pain feels like my insides are being twisted, it radiates up my back. I've had endoscopy, colonscopy, stool culture to check for parasite-all normal. I've lost 17 lbs since April 2013 because of diarrhea. I'm scheduled for another endoscopy in a few days so the bile duct can be looked at to see if there is anything blocking it. I've been tested for Celiac disease. I don't have results for that yet. The pain is intense. The last attack I had was late December and it actually woke me up out of a sound sleep.
|

replied January 9th, 2014
I am a 52 year old male with same problem and lost 130 lbs- Went in to ER 3 times - First time diagnosed me with Diabetes and all CT SCAN, MRI,Ultrasound, Blood Test all are normal. So hat they are telling me that it is related to neuropathy pain.

Nerve related but no test to prove and all they keep doing is upping my Morphine. I am having a hard time paying bills to stay working on all the morphine.

So if anyone can help determining what it is we have would be great.
|

User Profile
replied January 9th, 2014
Update* One of my docs this time around said it sounded like something where the esophagus and stomach meet something was trying to back up into another. I also mentioned the latest symptom of the pain moving into the chest and shoulder sometimes and he also mentioned that might be connected to the diaphragm....his suggestion to try next time if I could such as if I wasn't driving but in a location o could lay flat on my back, to apply pressure just below the sternum with palms down thumbs towards chins and "smooth" down the abdomen into my stomach.
|