Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Upper left side abdominal pain after eating

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
Hi, I hope someone can help me, or at least point me in the right direction. For the past few weeks, I have been suffering from severe pain in the upper left side of my stomach, usually five to six hours after eating. The pain often starts in my back but the worse pain is in a localized area, just below my ribcage on the left side. I have taken fiber and antacids and they sometimes seem to have a positive effect. The pain comes and goes from day to day. Sometimes nothing, but sometimes I am in great pain for an hour or two, and I sweat and feel sick. Sometimes I induce vomiting, which seems to have some effect on relieving the pain.

I am leaning towards (and hoping) it's just trapped gas, and I generally do pass wind, soon after the pain eases, but would trapped gas be so painful that it can cause sweats and lethargy and would it be so bad, so often and it does seem to be occurring at the same sort of time after a meal. It starts after about five hours and gets progressively worse and then passes in a few hours, but I feel weak and sick.

I have no changes to my appetite and I am not losing or gaining weight, as far as I can tell. I am slightly overweight and do like my food.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any assistance, and if there are any further questions, please let me know.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 22nd, 2010
ME TOO!!!
I have the SAME EXACT PAIN!!!! Today it was actually so bad that I almost passed out from the pain. I hope someone can shed some light on the issue. Thanks
|

replied July 22nd, 2011
Regarding left upper quadrant pain
I have the same pain. It is off and on and mostly a dull and occasionally throbbing pain. I had an endoscopy but all test came back normal. I am 6 years post gastric bypass (roux-n-y procedure), anemia treated with iron infusions a year ago and other neurological disorder not due to gastric bypass. I too would appreciate any ideas on what this pain could be.
Thanks.
|

replied August 5th, 2011
Pain under rib cage 10 years post Gastric Bypass RNY
jjgirl..I see that you post is the most recent..I googled abdominal pain after gastric bypass, and came upon this thread..I am going to my original surgeon for this pain next week. I am 10 years post..it feels like a heart attack, and sometimes the pain is so bad it goes all the way up my left chest, and neck..it is always after eating, so I know its not my ticker..I will save this thread so I can let you know how it went. I also had a scope done, and no ulcer or hernia, but I do infact have an enlarged stoma, my surgeon did that purposefully 10 years ago, this may or not be the cause of the pain. He said I need a test involving contrast and is excited to see me after all these years..I sure hope I get some answers...Dee
|

replied August 5th, 2011
Wiscogal...please do let me know what your surgeon says about your pain. I am very curious about this pain and am also considering a visit to the surgeon to see what the next step would be for me. My pain is not debilitating however it is a nagging pain that is gradually worsening. Jana
|

replied September 14th, 2011
Pain after bypass
I have been having this exact same pain, left side right below my ribs. I had bypass June of 10 and got pregnant in november. The pain started in May of this year when I was 8 months pregnant, the doc thought that it may be gas or just pain from my insides being different, Gas-x didn't help much and I couldn't take many meds because of being pregnant. I went in labor at the end of the week, thank goodness because I was about to die. The pain stayed away for two months and now it has come back full force. I am taking Gas-x and rolaids and some pain killers, it seems to be keeping the pain at bay but it doesn't ever fully go away. After reading online I think it may be an ulcer or pinched intestines, but some people still have the pain even after treatment. Not sure where I should go from here.
|