Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Muscular and Nerve Disorders Forum

upper body pain (arms, back, neck)

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
User Profile
I am a 48 year old female. Several months ago, I started to feel pain in my left upper arm, particularly just below the shoulder on the outside portion of my arm. The pain has now begun to spread to my other arm , to my lower back and to the back of my neck. Essentially, most of my body above the waist . It feels muscular in nature because it is in the soft tissues, not at the articulation. However, I have trouble lifting my arms or making lateral movements. I also noticed that my right wrist appears to be sprained (perhaps because it is overcompensating for my weak right arm) The pain is worse in the morning and at night. It has been worst in the past week or so since the weather has been extremely hot and humid. The pain is started to be debilitating. If I am sitting on the floor, I find it difficult to get up. In the pool, swimming is painful. Getting dressed in the morning also is very painful. What could this be?

Thanks you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 24th, 2012
maybe early onset fibromyalgia?
|

User Profile
replied June 24th, 2012
Arm , back, neck pain
Fibromyalgia? Hmm I've heard of this and it has cross my mind. I will consult and do more research on it. I believe it involves a diagnosis of omission's where they rule out everything else first so I've got a long way to go in investigating all other avenues but I think it's a very good guess. Thank you very for your input.

Francine
|

replied June 25th, 2012
i am 52 year old female with osteoarthritis, fibro, occipital neuralgia, degen disc desease, spinal stenosis, neuropathy andboth my knees need a lateral release surg in the nextg few months a little more serious than orthoscopic, (longer healing and pain icckkk) so youv come to the right person although my typing stinks lol i do know my medical stuff and understand it as i seek out all available info on line chat rooms ect i do have something else as well due to my osteoarthritis I have nedk issues as well with a degenerating cervical colum with some bony spurs they said my like c4 and 5 fused??? anyways I started 3 months ago while going after my knees my should/arm went PAINNNNN....shoulder, movement of arm no range of motion couldnt lift it fingers got numb at times if i moved wrong pain would shoot down the arm to the elbow..anyways you dont need to hear my drama, what im trying to say is I pray your not talking about some possible nerve compression? do you have any other diagnosis's, that would help excel some deterioration of your spine? or neck????because you could also in thinking and reading your story i intially thought your right sounds like how my fibro started ill tell you if you take pain meds or have discussed it with someone yet the best medication for nerve muscle pain is methadone in low dosage 10-20 mg omg what a life saver i take oxycodone for the rest of my pain but as i say muscle and nerve pain really works with methadone..keep me abreast and let me know how you make out if you want we can chat about anythbing i hate to see anyone get this illness as its very painful on the neck shoulder, im also having surgery to repair the pinched nerve which was caught on xraybut right now the knees and actually my shoulder must of unpinched as of the last 3 weekkks i have not really had significant pain in my shoulder i think it moves from time to time and im not volunterring for shoulder surg unless it comes back as shoulder surg you never really come back from..ttys shelly
|

replied June 25th, 2012
I have been experiencing something very similar over the past several years, gradually increasing and spreading; now in my lower legs as well. Several doctors and tests and no answers. Have been told that fibromyalgia is basically a term for muscle pain; not an actual diagnosis, but rather is caused by something. Very frustrated. If you get an answer I would very much like to know!
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied June 27th, 2012
My dad has been having sharp pain in his left arm. It started off in his neck and back, it was a little pain but got worse and worse til he couldnt take the pain anymore. So he went to see a doctor and they told him he had a muscle spasm, they gave him pills and painkillers but nothing worked. So he went to see a physiotherapist amd they massaged his shoulder and brought the pain down to his arm. The pain got worse to the point where he couldnt sleep and had tears in his eyes. He went back another time and this time the pain went away for about 10-20minutes and came back but this time in his forearm and hand. Its really sharp pains that come ans go.

Does anybody know what exactly this is and what can we do about it?
I really appreciate your help.
I cant see my dad in this pain, it hurts me!

Thank you!!
|

replied June 29th, 2012
once again...pinched NERVE, I know it sounds like i only know about pinched nerves but i know an awful lot about them and they can cause a lot of mystery pain..they have nerves all the way down from your neck to lower back so anything from ur foot to ur headaches could be from a pinched nerve think realistically why would someon just get random pain in one area? walk through this with your dr..maybe a neurolagist?
|

replied June 29th, 2012
once again...pinched NERVE, I know it sounds like i only know about pinched nerves but i know an awful lot about them and they can cause a lot of mystery pain..they have nerves all the way down from your neck to lower back so anything from ur foot to ur headaches could be from a pinched nerve think realistically why would someon just get random pain in one area? walk through this with your dr..maybe a neurolagist?
|

User Profile
replied January 11th, 2013
I am 34 years old and have been under a LOT of stress lately. I started having collarbone pain. Then it moved up to my neck. I have been experiencing a lot of tooth pain and right now I am uninsured and have been trying to treat that on my own so I was guessing a little bit of the neck pain came from the tooth. However, some days the collar bone and shoulder pain is very troublesome. Other days it will just go away. I've pretty much narrowed it down to stress because on very stressful days (I also have an anxiety disorder and am taking anxiety medication) I tense up really bad. Then when I am calm I don't experience these problems.

It could be stress. They give fancy, scary names to so many health issues that affect people but sometimes its just stress. Yours may not be. I don't know.
|