Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Upper back pain when I move my arm

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
I have just started having a pretty strange pain in my back. This pain occurs whenever I move my left arm and the pain occurs in my upper left back/chest area. This pain literally just started, prior to this I have never experienced any similar pains in my back or in this area.

I cannot even guess what might have caused it, I was just laying on the couch watching some TV before I headed to sleep and by the time I got up and walked over to my bedroom I felt a sharp pain in my upper chest/back area.

By experimenting moving my arm in different ways, I can safely say that the pain is triggered when I move my arm in such a way that my shoulder is moving towards the inside of my body. (If I am point my left arm straight out to my left, and then move it to point straight in front of me). And also the exact opposite way (moving my arm from point left to pointing behind me).

I am going to try and get some sleep and hopefully things will be better in the morning but if that is not the case hopefully I can get some insight here. Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 28th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
How are you feeling? Do you still have the same pain?

If you do, you should start by seeing your primary doctor to see if he/she thinks it is a shoulder problem or a cervical spine problem.

good luck

Fran
|
Did you find this post helpful?