Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Muscular and Nerve Disorders Forum

Upper Arm Sharp Pain

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hi

I'm after a little bit of advice. For about the past week I have been having intermittent pain in the upper part of my left arm. It is inbetween the shoulder and elbow on the side of the arm. It is very hard to explain the pain, but it is sharp and the only thing I can relate it to is when you rip off a plaster but the pain lasts longer. It is a long thin pain, makes me feel like something is tearing and feels itchy. I know that sounds strange but I really don't know how to explain it.

It is not constant and certain movements tend to bring it on. I occasionally get pins and needles in my hand but not to much that I've been concerned by that.

Basically do you think it would be worth getting it checked out or do you think it will just sort itself out?

Thanks for any advice.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 2nd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
If you had chest pain, nausea, light-headedness, or any of those, I would say it is heart related. But if you don't have any of those, it's probably not.

It could be a lot of things. It sounds like a nerve issue, like you may have pinched a nerve or something. I'm guessing the numbness is related. If it lasts more than a week, I would go to a doctor. Usually, if these things are caught early, it is more likely that you can have a simple treatment for it. If you wait too long, you could do some damage.
|
Did you find this post helpful?