Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Upper abdomen pain and chest pain

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
Hello all, this is my first post here. For the past month I am having some weird chest pain and upper stomach pain.

So I will start from the beginning. I am a 29 years old male with perfect health and no history of any illness. A month ago I start having this weird chest pain, I am a pretty heavy smoker and I was thinking this might be due to the amount of cigarettes that I smoked per day. I cut down smoking to like 8-10 per day, but the pain doesn't go away. Then 4 or 5 days later I start having upper abdomen pain, its so uncomfortable combining with the chest pain, so I went to the hospital to check it out. They did chest xray and a complete blood count on me, said my lungs and my heart is fine and then send me home.

The next day, I start having this weird abdomen pain, I lost my appetite, can't eat after a few bites, and theres this cramping feeling in my stomach. I then went and check out with my family doctor, he said I am probably having gastritis, and prescribe me some antacid (forgot the name sorry), which doesn't work at all. A week later I am still not eating, and losing weight, so my family doctor told me to double the dosage on the antacid, which, doesn't help me as well. My barium x ray appointment is like 1 month from now, and my endoscopy appointment is like half a year from now... hurray for medical services in Canada.

So I went and check out with my family doctor again, he then prescribe me prevacid, 30 mg a day, after taking the first pill, I gain my appetite back, I have been eating normally since. Problem being, I still have this persistent chest pain and upper abdomen pain, eating does soothe the pain a bit, but then it will come back if I didn't eat for 4 to 5 hours. A week later, I start having lower abdominal pain sometime as well, and my bowel movement ranging from 1 time per day to 3 to 4 times per day, no blood in stool tho thankfully. Could this be the side effect of prevacid ?

So my main question is, am I having gastritis or a stomach ulcer ? or something more serious ? and does smoking prevent my stomach from healing that bad ? I am under lots of stress from home and family issues I will go insane if I quit smoking, I smoke around 8-10 per day now, which is reduced from 2 packs per day. Oh and I got my blood test done for h pylori which came back negative, could this be a false negative since I am on antacid medication ?
Sorry for so many questions but I am very concern, this problem is keeping me away from a normal social life. Any input is appreciated, thanks

Tommy
Did you find this post helpful?
|