Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Unusual Gallbladder Symptoms?

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
I had a HIDA scan done after my ultrasound showed no stones, and my gallbladder was functioning at 15%. I was supposed to have it taken out, but with husband being laid off, I needed to save some money before I did it.

My gallbladder attacks generally happen a week or two before my period starts. I normally start eating plain rice with soy sauce during this time to try to avoid the attacks.

The leg pain in the new symptom though, and I was almost positive it was a blood clot. I'm heading to the Dr. today, but wanted to hear some others with some insight. Generally when I go to the doctor describing him my symptoms, he acts like it is in my head. We actually had a yelling match one day because the "oh it's this, oh it's that" wasn't cutting it anymore.

Here are my main symptoms through attacks:

Uncontrollable indegestion/belching
Pain in left calf and left thigh
Shortness of breath
Feeling as if an elephant were sitting on my chest
Jaw pain (which is actually like chin pain, it's in the front not on the sides)
An odd headache in the back right part of my head that gets really intense, makes me want to put my hand on my head until it passes
Feeling as if my throat is closing up
Chronic dry cough, try to cough up phglem but it's always clear
Heart palpitations
Always tasting stomach bile in my mouth
IBS (toss up between constipation and diarrhea) - stool is often bright yellow or orange
Distended abdomen during attacks
The feeling as if you're getting the flu
Sour stomach (almost like food poisioning)
Pain between my shoulder blades that radiates into my lower back
Pain/tightness underneath sternum
Feeling that I have to beat on my chest to get the belching out

I work in healtcare and my numbers are good: right now my O2 is 99, my BP is 122/80 and my heart rate is 82.

I am unsure as if what I'm experiancing right now with the leg pain and jaw pain, but I googled "gallbladder leg pain" and the first link was a lady who had my exact symptoms. The only problem? I've never heard of anyone else say they had these symptoms and the lady in the link never explained the leg pains she was having. Mine started in my calf, then went to my thigh. My anxiety is high as well so it makes it worse, but the calf pain actually woke me up out of my sleep. It was more of a deep ache. There was no redness, no swelling and no actue pain, just a general warm deep throbbing feeling.

Is there anyone out there who experiances symptoms like me? Sad

P.S I have PCOS and cysts on my left ovary with partial removal of my right ovary. I wonder if my hormones interacting with my GB isn't making things worse?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper DeadGirlWaking
|

User Profile
replied September 13th, 2009
There is no relationship between your gallbladder dysfunction (biliary dyskinesia) and your leg pain. An ultrasound of the veins of your leg can be performed to rule-out blood clots (deep venous thrombosis).

Hormone replacement therapy not only increases your risk of breat and ovarian cancer, but also your risk of cardiovascular disease and deep venous thrombosis.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

http://doctorwascher.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied September 14th, 2009
Like you, I get:

Some shortness of breath (I think its due to inflated stomach + acid reflux)

Feeling as if an elephant were sitting on my chest (maybe more like a cat)

Feeling as if my throat is closing up (acid reflux for me)

IBS (toss up between constipation and diarrhea): usually the day after an attack.

Distended abdomen during attacks: Do I ever! I feel like the thing is going to explode.

Sour stomach (almost like food poisioning): This might be acid reflux, again.

Pain between my shoulder blades that radiates into my lower back: That's a common symptom of gall bladder attacks. I get pain in my lower back.

Pain/tightness underneath sternum: Yup.

I hope you can get your gallbladder out soon and start feeling better!
|

replied November 19th, 2009
Hi MandiLeigh...

No, you're not the only one! I absolutely have left calf pain along with ALL your other symptoms and also shortness of breath, terrible wheezy dry cough and dizziness. I am in the process of having my gall bladder looked at. My ultrasound done 18 months ago was clear for stones..but now I am going to have a hida scan. I feel certain it is my gall bladder. TheRUQ pain just below and beneath my right ribs is constant. All my ct, mri, etc scans have revealed nothing other than a liver hemangioma. (common) I have read many, many posts from people who have ALL KINDS of unusual symptoms stemming from their dysfunctional gall bladders. I really don't think the doctors are aware of just how many people out there have more than the "normal" constellation of symptoms. It's definitely NOT in your head! I am looking forward to the hida scan (albeit a bit scared) but I am unsure if I would opt for removal unless it's absolutely necessary.
|

replied March 29th, 2010
wow, i also suffer from a lot of the same symptoms including left calf pain (no blood clot) but felt vascular. i even have the headaches on the right side. i've been diagnosed with ibs and gerd but my symptoms have been getting progressively worse. haven't had gb checked out yet. i wonder if a cyst on the ovary could be causing the leg and back pain? good luck to you.
|

replied July 30th, 2010
wow
gotta love how the doc didnt answer anything for you. typical.
|

replied October 17th, 2010
I Too have had the same syptoms and i have the pains in my calves and thighs too deep aches and they can go from the calf one minute then to the thigh the next. i also started getting rashes or little bumps on my body also. i had everything checked out and it was my gallbladder I had it out and the symptoms went away i don't think half the docs have a clue if it isn't in a text book
|

replied July 15th, 2012
hi angtb can i ask if therash was pink small flat like moles the size of pin heads as i have all these symptoms

kind regards andrea
|

replied September 15th, 2012
skin rashes are not uncommon w/ gallbladder problems. I started having rashes 6+ yrs ago that no doc could figure out. Started just like u describe & also extremely itchy, then turning to large spots on top of my hands, looked like psoriasis when full blown - but not psoriasis. I think that was my warning sign but no doc actually related it to gb. I've had some of the craziest non-classical symptoms and only HIDA scan showed 10% function. Held off for 2 yrs to try alternatives, but now sick of it and going to get it out next week.
|

replied October 18th, 2010
Leg Pain and Gallbladder
I recently had chills, fever of 102.4, severe pain in BOTH legs, back pain, pain in my side, a headache behind my eyes, and very little desire to eat. I went to the dr and discovered I had a bladder infection, so my dr thought it was trying to spread to my kidneys. Turns out kidneys are fine, but my liver enzymes were raised, so I had an ultrasound done on my gallbladder. This showed a polyp. I am going to see a surgeon tomorrow to see if my gallbladder needs to be removed. I also did a search on gallbladder + leg pain and came across someone's page who spoke of referred pain. This person also had scoliosis, and I do too. I think the way they explained it was the curve of the spine caused you to think the pain was in your legs when it really should be in your back? Anyhow, I'm glad to see I'm not the ONLY one with leg pain when I'm having a gallbladder attack.
|

replied November 20th, 2010
Gallbadder can cause all sorts of problems -
I found out a few days ago that my Gallbladder is working at 5%, And sadly it took 5 doctors to figure this out me being only 22. I'm starting to learn that doctors only know as much as they learned in school, and how much they actually paid attention. And you have to understand that not all these guys graduated at the top of their class as well. So far i have Breathing Problems, Chest pain. Acid Reflux, minor gastritis, Knees Pains, Hand pains, Arms pains, back pains and as well Ankle pains. Sadly the doctors do not pay attention to patience, and enjoy more looking at their school books which are over 30 years old. So my advice to you is to get that sucker out, and then see how you feel. And sadly don't listen to every doctor you see. Sadly we are all human, and so are doctors. And humans can be stupid at times.
|

replied May 31st, 2011
Was wondering if you have since gotten your gallbladder out and if so how you are feeling, and what symptoms did you have thaty went away with the surgery? I am thinking of getting mine out, and I have strange symptoms that I am wondering if they will go away or get worse. I had 4 yes 4 hida scans and they were all different anywhere from 0% to 50%. I am worried surgery might not help. This whole thing is creepy:(
|

replied May 31st, 2011
Was wondering if you have since gotten your gallbladder out and if so how you are feeling, and what symptoms did you have thaty went away with the surgery? I am thinking of getting mine out, and I have strange symptoms that I am wondering if they will go away or get worse. I had 4 yes 4 hida scans and they were all different anywhere from 0% to 50%. I am worried surgery might not help. This whole thing is creepy:(
|

replied March 1st, 2011
Don't be so quick to just yank it out
anyone consider a cleanse instead of getting your gallbladder removed?? You NEED your gallbladder to digest ANY fats. You need to digest those fats to be able to myelinate your nerves and brain tissue. Before you just "yank that sucker out" I would advise you to consider other options. There are many less painful, less drastic and more intelligent ways to heal your GB besides surgery. Look up gallbladder cleanse as well as natural treatment
|

replied September 15th, 2012
Yes! done the chinese herbal thing, acupuncture,drank the olive oil & lemon, alternative healing with silver, hydrogen peroxide, magnetic pulse, energy healing, change of diet but still suffering 2 yrs later!! Time to yank it out I say - I gave good effort.
I should have know at the beginning when eating an appl e set me off!! That's not even fatty!
|

replied April 4th, 2011
Had leg cramping and headaches before surgery. Also had hip pain. I'm no doctor, but I think my pain was my body reacting to the pain from the gall bladder. Sitting and walking improperly because I was unknowingly nursing my right side. It my not have been directly caused by the gall bladder, but was as a result of my body trying to be comfortable by adjusting my gait and sitting habits. Needless to say, all of the above problems have gone since I had the galll bladder removed a few weeks ago.
|

replied October 9th, 2011
Feel so much better after finding this! I have this leg pain that is exactly like you guys are describing, but on the left. I'm interested to hear what my dr will say when I tell him my leg ache/pain. I've got all the other symptoms of gallbladder that is getting worse each day. I do hope it's referred pain and not something else....
Did everybody's pain go away after surgery? I'd rather not have my gb removed but if it's causing these problems, I'm all in

Jackie
|

replied October 9th, 2011
I never ended up having surgery. I found out I have celiac and a bunch of other food allergies. If I accidentally get glutened, that right sided pain comes on full force. Also the leg pain. I get the leg pain when my intestines are acting up too. There must be a nerve that gets aggrevated. I also found out I have epstein barr which causes some liver swelling.
To getting31healthy...I have been doing gallbladder cleanses for 15+ years. It can get to a point where cleansing no longer works. So I ended up keeping mine for now, but I am still not sure because if the "abuse" from the celiac if I ever won't have problems...
|

replied October 10th, 2011
Thanks for your reply. My blood tests and ultrasound results are fine, no gallstones, so for now I think I'll see how it goes as I don't have huge stabbing pain, just aches with occasional sharp one and diarrhea (but am starting gast-stop now) so hopefully this is just one of those things and not something else....
Thanks,
Jackie
|

replied October 10th, 2011
Have you had a test for celiac? I have no stones either. My gallbladder function was at 0% at one point. Since I have been on the diet it is around 85%. (Not sure how reliable those numbers really are though, and I think they fluctuate) You might want to request that blood test if you haven't had it already.
|

replied October 14th, 2011
Thanks for getting back to me. I've not had that test, my dr didn't seem to think celiac due to the onset and stuff but I will inquire when I return. I felt good for a few days but starting to feel crappy again with fogginess- but had continual aches in my side and back. I was actually beginning to wonder about a parasite or the like as I have travelled a lot in undeveloped regions...
|

replied March 26th, 2012
jackie - did you ever find a reason for your issue?? did you ever have a hidascan - you can still have gb dysfunction without stones present apparently - thus hidascans. Also, some of your symptoms sound like mine and i was diagnosed with esophageal spasms (difficulty swallowing and chest pain, constant burping) which they did through this quick but awful test called mannometry. i have suffered for almost a year now before they found the gall stones. i had an us 7 months ago - no gall stones. I had a us 3 months ago - i had 6 of them. My hida scan shows I have bilary dyskinesia - 11 percent ejection fracture and i am getting the gb out this wed. in last 5 days, i have been having a lot of head pain and back pain and i went in for a ct scan -not sure it's related, but seeing that a lot of people are having those issues, makes me feel a tad better. not all symptoms are textbook gallbladder. i told the surgeon all my wierd symptoms and he said i could expect at least a 50 percent improvement. I hope you update us!
|
Users who thank elisapooh for this post: DeadGirlWaking 

replied March 28th, 2012
Hi Elisa thanks for your response. Good to hear that you are making headway in your progress. I hope your surgery goes well and you get relief. I seen a GI surgeon who suggested antibiotics first (along with more blood tests)due to my travel history, which made me feel quite a bit better. my bloods are all normal except high total total bilirubin. We do suspect gallbladder as over time I have noticed certain foods make me feel worse.
I decided to see how I go for a few months after cutting out meats, dairy and anything bubbly, also soy milk oddly- and so far, its okay, a lot better than before but I can certainly tell when I do eat a trigger - ranges from mild abdo pain to chest, back or ear/head pain. I am more relaxed about it all now too and I think that helps a lot.
I will return to the GI in the next monthish and ask for a Hidascan because while I am fine to not eat all that stuff, I dont feel as though I should have to not eat it, as opposed to not wanting to, if that makes sense.

Let me know how you get on after your surgery, all the best.

Jackie
|

replied June 16th, 2012
I went through all their tests my Hidda scan came back at 80%, ultra sound showed no stones , did show a cyst on my left ovary but all my pain was in the right. I went to the hospital in horrible pain 3 times, they finally did a cat scan which showed nothing, went back a 4 th time they said I was constipated, talk about being offended as I'm 44 years old and would think I know what constipation is. My doctor the ordered a EDG and a EUS scope which showed my gallbladder is filled with sludge and stones. Listen to your body and don't let these doctors tell you it's in your head I've been suffering for years now. I finally get mine removed on Monday and can't wait. Now to answer the leg pain YES YES YES was actually going to go back to the hospital today cause I'm affraid of blood clots because I was on estrogen for three months. The pain is like a burning cramping pain that starts in my calves and now my upper thigh. I will try and post again after my surgery to let you know if the leg pain stops. I hope these doctors will read this or if not that this helps someone else so they don't suffer like I have and so they have the confidence to stand up to these doctors when something is wrong.
Gentle hugs to you all.
|

replied July 12th, 2012
I to am having calf pain..almost a sharp pain that last many seconds several times a day. Pain on both left and right side, shoulder pain left side,cramping, nausea, extreme weight loss, when I have an attack my sternum becomes so sore it hurts to touch, severe frontal headaches over the eyes, constant burping, gas and heartburn if I eat anything other than powdered mash potatoes, apple sauce and whole grain bread. If I eat anything else especially dairy I become weak with dizziness, sweats....will have what feels like heart palpitations....Vegas vein is so irritated in goes in to spasms......After many EGDs that were normal except for bile reflux and stomach inflammation ...Esophageal acid probe was normal...Nothing helps been to ER many times only to be sent home after a Dose of GI Cocktail....tried nexium, dexilant, etc with no relief....ultrasound showed no abnormalities of the Gallbladder.....this pain has been going on more than a year.....now waiting on the results of Hida Scan with kinevac injection..
|

replied September 24th, 2012
Don't trust the results of all your medical tests 100%!
This is just to show you how useless some of the medical tests are: I too suffered for yrs with all the symptoms noted on this forum, I thought I was seriously dying, I had heart palpitations, it felt like my heart was going to stop, I had bursts in my chest . . the stuff of nightmares. I ended up in emerg. many many times and also was insulted by saying its "anxiety" or "constipation" or "ibs", or whatever. I am a 40 yr-old professional career woman who handled "kidney stone" pain no problem, but this brought me down to my knees as it affected my whole body.
Now listen up, I had: X-rays, several ultrasounds, 2 CT scans, MRI scan of the gallbladder and ducts and ALL SHOWED EVERYTHING WAS FINE. The main test which you should all be asking for is a HIDA scan which showed 10% ejection. After 2 yrs of this BS I finally decided to have the GB out last thursday, even though both my doctor and surgeon weren't optimistic that's what it is (because of the tests). Lo and behold when they ripped that sucker out - there was a large stone wedged right into my gallbladder! Even I was amazed after all the tests showed nothing. So this just goes to tell you how useless these tests really are and unfortunately the doctors will not give you the time of day - unless that test shows something - they will instead ship you off to the psychiatric ward. Don't listen to them, listen to your body. If you've never had an anxiety attack in your life (through all your hardships) and all of a sudden that is what they tell you you're having - tell them to screw off. It is an insult to you as a human being and as a woman. Because I am a female so many docs jumped on the "psychotic female" bandwagon and good luck trying to get rid of that label. I switched so many doctors because they were only wasting my time, and I can't believe how they should be allowed to hold their title, when they minimize everything or fluff everything off on other vague things. If I didn't solve my clients problem at work - I would be FIRED! Fortunately with the HIDA scan, I ran into brilliant emerg doctor (literally by accident) and he wrote me a referal for it, finally got me on the right path - otherwise I would still be wondering.
And yes, the gallbladder will cause your nerves to flip out . . Don't let doctors tell you it's the other way around - that your nerves are the cause of your symptoms. Let's not put the cart ahead of the horse. .The gb inflammation translates into migraines (even thou you've never had them before), shakiness, vision problems, diziness, heart palpitations, feeling of being poisoned, or extreme tension - like you can't relax. That is all gone now that my gallblader is out,I am still dealing with ear ringing and bloated feeling in my stomach, but it's only been 4 days after surgery, so I gotta wait it out. It has taken me 2 yrs of dealing with this - so gotta be patient. I am definitely glad the large stone is out & I will keep you updated on the healing process.
|
Users who thank DeadGirlWaking for this post: Daffie 

replied May 17th, 2013
Hi DGW,

My story is pretty similar to yours, and I just had my GB out 3 days ago.
I am wondering how you have been since your GB removal, and how long did it take for you to feel normal again?
|

replied July 12th, 2012
Also after eating anything even slightly oily or cream based I will have a severe bout of diarrhea . Always tired, have the feeling of lump in the throat sometimes it is hard to swallow, always a nasty taste in the throat .......after starting the low fat diet prior to Hida Scan I have not had a serious attack.....even feel a little more like my old self.......this diseas/illness effects your whole life....there is no normalcy for you because you can't even enjoy life's simple pleasures.
|

replied April 3rd, 2014
Thank god I am not the only young one! I am 21 and have had bad Gi problems since I was 17 and lost some weight. I was always told it wasn't my gallbladder because I am so young and that I had IBS and GERD. I had 2 endoscopies and 1 ultrasound done when I was 18, but nothing showed up. After some very severe attacks recently, I had my second ultrasound done and what do you know.......I have gallstones.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.