Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Herpes and Genital Warts Forum

Unprotected sex with HSV2 positive girlfriend ?

Must Read
20% of the population has or carries herpes simplex virus. But do you know what herpes is? Learn about causes and risk factors for herpes. ...
Do you know the less common signs and symptoms of herpes? Get the facts of herpes symptoms and outbreaks here....
Herpes diagnosis requires proper testing. Learn about the two simple tests that doctors use to confirm a herpes diagnosis....
My girlfriend just found out that she has HSV 2. I went and got tested, and the results came back negative. She is now on Valtrex, 500mg daily. She is on birth control and I''m curious if I can have unprotected sex with her and not contract HSV 2? We''ve been together for 4 months, and I feel that she might be the one, but it''s hard for me to imagine having protected sex with the woman I love for the rest of our lives, not to mention wanting to have children. I''m curious to hear thoughts of similar couples that are or have been in the same situation and how you handle this situation. Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 18th, 2010
I just found out that my girlfriend has herpes. We have been dating for only 3 months. We have had unprotected sex several times and I am concerned that I might have contracted the virus. I don't have any symptoms but I read you can still have the virus with no symptoms what so ever. I am going to get tested soon to be sure. My girlfriend doesnt have any open lesions on her mouth or gential area. What is the likelihood that I have the virus?
|

replied June 22nd, 2010
The reality is that it's a tricky disease and the safest thing you can do - if you don't want to catch it - is a) have your partner go on preventative meds like Valtrex - and a much much cheaper generic just came on the market and b) use protection.

I had it living in my systme unbeknownst to me for probably a year or so and was with a longterm girlfriend for most of that time, having unprotected sex. She never caught it. Some people just have a better resistance than others. And because of the nature of the disease, sometimes it "retreats" deeply into one's body, so your girlfriend's might never experience another outbreak. (It's in the same family as and may provoke a similar to chicken pox in some people's bodily response to it.)
That being said, if you really care about the person - and you don't think they purposefully deceived you about having it and not telling you (unfortunately, 'finding out later' is one of the coping mechanisms some people with HSV use in order to try to get back into 'normal' relationships), then you should stick with them. I think, with condoms and medication, it's easy to prevent, and if you want kids later, you just plan for it - I've had unprotected, consentual sex since being formally diagnosed, and those partners also never contracted the disease. It's a tricky virus. But it shouldn't discourage you from being with someone you love.
|

replied June 9th, 2012
concered
my boyfriend and i have been dating for 5 months now and i just tested positive for hsv 2, all i could do was cried, i have to break the news to him, i never had a outbreak or nothin i wouldnt even have known if i didnt do the blood test... we have sex all the time unprotected oral as well, im so scared lost and confused i asked if i could be retested again ... whats the odds of it commin out negative smh ,i been through alot and this takes the cake the doctor asked me how was life before these results i said fine it was normal and she said then life would continue to be normal its not the end of the world she said she also said bein the fact i dont have no outbreaks or anything that she didnt want to start me on any meds i dont kno what to do im reading everything from information q&a i been every where since yesturday i been so losted in my thoughts that i given myself a headache....man i dont even kno if i can conceive and to kno that now if im able to i have to have a c section my heart is broken and even tho u may say its not the end of the world ... to me is kinda is to kno that i have this and that i have put my partner at risk i need some insight
|