Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Underweight but eating

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
User Profile
Hi,

Im really underweight i weigh under 98 pounds and i really cant get my weight back up, i dont even have periods anymore. My doctor says keep eating and i do i eat six meals a day with snacks. Whats happening to me? Any ideas what to do? Please help.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 10th, 2009
Eating Disorders Answer A7041
I understand that you are struggling with gaining weight. It is not possible for me to really know what the cause of this is without doing a face to face interview. You may not be eating enough calories even though you are eating multiple times a day. There may also be a physiological reason, although it does not seem that your doctor has offered one. You may want to see a nutritionist who can look at what you're eating and determine whether you are eating enough to gain weight. You may want to also discuss with the nutritionist how much you are exercising and any other behaviors (or medications) you are engaging in that might be preventing you from gaining weight. A therapist might be helpful if you find that you are struggling to eat as much as is recommended.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Eating Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.