Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Understanding MRI report and suggestions

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Please Help.
I just received my MRI report, and I am wondering what all this means (besides my back hurts) and what are best options available for corrective procedures. Here are the results:
L1-2 Level is within normal limits in appearance
L2-3 Level demonstrates bulging of the annulus, facet and ligamentum flavum hypertrophy with mild stenosis
L3-4 Level demonstrates mild stenosis with facet hypertrophy more on the left. There is also degenerative disc dehydration
L4-5 Level demonstrates a broad base bulging of the annulus with moderate to severe stenosis with facet and legamentum flavum hypertrophy
L5-S1 Demonstrates a broad base of the annulus centrally slightly indenting the thecal sac material
Any information in explaining what this means and what options I should pursue would
be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 16th, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
"L1-2 Level is within normal limits in appearance"

No problems at this level. This is the joint of the fourth and fifth bottom vertebra in your spine L2-L3 is the next down and so on.

"L2-3 Level demonstrates bulging of the annulus, facet and ligamentum flavum hypertrophy with mild stenosis"

The disc is bulging at this level, the facets are small joints at the rear of the vertebra, and the ligamentum flavum is one of the main ligaments of the spinal column they are both showing signs of arthritic change in the form of an over growth, stenosis is a narrowing of a channel that the nerves flow through.

"L3-4 Level demonstrates mild stenosis with facet hypertrophy more on the left. There is also degenerative disc dehydration"

Same as above with alack of moisture in the disc.

"L4-5 Level demonstrates a broad base bulging of the annulus with moderate to severe stenosis with facet and legamentum flavum hypertrophy"

The disc at this level has a bulge that takes up a large portion of its circumference, other findings same as above.

"L5-S1 Demonstrates a broad base of the annulus centrally slightly indenting the thecal sac material"

At this level another broad based bulge at the rear of the disc this time the bulge is pressing on the thecal sac which is a tough membrane that surrounds the spinal cord.

Its difficult to talk about your options as there is a lot i don't know about you but i would think you may not be bad enough for surgery but certainly consult a good surgeon and take in everything he says

Some kind of therapy with a gentle exercise program Pysio chiro or osteo might be sensible especially before you take the more drastic step of surgery but make sure you see someone good or if they are not making a lot of sense, and they aren't improving your health i would stop seeing them.

Good luck
|
Did you find this post helpful?