Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Muscular and Nerve Disorders Forum

Uncontrollable Stretching

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
User Profile
I have had a constant urge to stretch since November 2011. I have no clue what it is, and neither do any of the doctors I have asked. I've tried, but I can't stop stretching. The stretching is in my arms, legs, neck, shoulders, and jaw. I feel the need to stretch until my bones crack. The rheumatologist I asked about it said that it might be a "nervous habit" but I don't have anything to be nervous about, and I don't ever feel nervous. Also, she said it's just something that I have to stop doing, like all habits, but it's very hard. It's like a cough. I could stop, but I would have to completely focus on it, and it would be VERY uncomfortable. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I have Functional Abdominal Pain Syndrome. I looked up Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS) but that's not it, because it's not mainly at night or mostly in my legs. It's not Periodic Limb Movement Disorder (PLMD) because it's in the daytime; not just at night. I've looked at Fibromyalgia, but only 2 or 3 of the symptoms fit, and I don't ever feel any pain in my joints. If anyone has ANY information on what I might have, please reply.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Sonny728
|

replied August 15th, 2012
I would say RLS. You can get that anywhere. I have it bad similar to how you describe. Happens at any time day or night. Feel the urge to stretch my arms, legs, neck...stop drinking caffeine if you are drinking any, also take a vitamin and try to get out and exercise a little everyday.
|

replied September 11th, 2012
have you had your B12 levels checked? I had a similar experience and was found to be B12 deficient.
|
Users who thank marben for this post: Sonny728 

replied January 21st, 2013
I'm not quite sure how to measure Vit B12 levels.
Look for Vit B12 and B (or B Complex) try small bottles, first,
in case its not your solution.
Taking Vit B12 is great for Nerve Twitches/Pins and Needles
I've taken Vit B Complex to support it for and it to last longer
than taking Vit B12 on its own. Your pee will turn yellow.
Its the excess Vitamin that your body doesn't use and some of your toxins go out at the same time.
|

replied July 21st, 2013
I too have have had this uncontrollable wanting to stretch.. It started a few Argos just in my legs and not lasting that long. Recently having episodes I have had to be hospitalised for test. They couldn't find out what was wrong! At first it was only night now happens anytime during the day. I have had a hip replacement so been in bed a lot lately and they have got worse. Because I am on pain killers, I find if I take a pain killer they lesson or stop! I am seeing a neurologist soon in hope of getting answers....
|