Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Multiple Sclerosis Forum

Uncontrollable phlegm

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
Hello all, I care for my brother who has MS, he's had it for about 10 years now and has gone from walking to being cared for 24/7. His diaphram is very weak, has no mobility in his arms, legs, etc and speaks very weak with the air that he manages to take in. I'm always careful with who all gets around him considering his immune system is so weak. We have gone to countless doctors, tried just about every medication and at this stage of his MS there seems to be out of medical options, but our faith is stronger than that and we just believe.

The reason for my posting is to see if there are people that have experienced the build up of saliva which at times turns into phlegm and well, because of a weakend immune system can't quite cough it all out.

I have tried:

Pat chest
Pat back
Vicks rub at nite
Hot tea
Warm mist vaporizer
Prescription cough medicine

and it works when he's laying down, but when we have him in his wheelchair and on the computer (he uses EZ Keys to type using sensor) he coughs and coughs and coughs and at times you can just hear with every breath there is phlegm stuck in his chest...

If there are any suggestions or recommendations or perhaps things you have done that have worked for you, I'd love to hear.

Thanks for reading this post.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper mfriedman
|

replied June 14th, 2010
Phlegms, MS, lungs
My husband has the same problem. I force him to exercise. He hated it, now he likes it, (well...) We work his abdomen and rib muscles, doing sit-ups and cross puches. His strength has improved. Strength builds up sooner than what you could imagine. The abdominal muscles and the rib muscles are essential for coughing. You can start asking him to cough as hard as he can three or four times and increase the frecuence. Phlegm builds up inside the lungs together with little bits of food that go the wrong way. On the x-rays it looks whitish. They are at great danger of dying if they do not increase their lung capacity.
|
Did you find this post helpful?