Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Uncomfortable feeling in throat

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
Recently i've been feeling rather uncomfortable especially in the throat/chest area.
It feels as though there's trapped air in it and even when i burp, it doesn't seem to do me any good. Sometimes i think i'm having breathing difficulties, sometimes i think i'm just over-reacting.
This has been going on for about 2 weeks?

I think this all started out when i went on a trip 2 mths ago. From day 1 of the trip i experienced a very very bad aftertaste in my throat whenever i ate. Also i felt as though i could not breathe properly and felt light headed at times. I visited the doc and apparently he says that i have phlegm trapped in my lungs. While taking the phlegm medication he gave me, i noticed that i never coughed out any phlegm at all.
But when i came home after my trip, i felt totally fine so i assumed that maybe i had travellers' sickness.

I don't know if i'm suffering from any panic or anxiety attacks,i sure hope i'm not, i'm only 23 and i've never experienced anything like this before. I also smoke but i've been cutting down alot ever since, so i'm not sure if smoking was the cause of this.

Also i noticed i've been getting like little sores on the side of my lip which i thought it was due to opening my mouth too wide. It's usually one sore, which looks like a tiny hole, at one side of the lip. It usually stays around for about 4 days, goes away and come back again like a few weeks later. Are this symptoms all inter-connected?

I don't know what to make of this and i'm a little paranoid about all these. Please help, i don't really feel like myself anymore.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 6th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
It sounds to me as you have some anxiety issues, or even experiencing panic attacks.
The bad taste after eating could be due to suffering from acid reflux.
Chest pains, chest tightness, difficulties with breathing, problems with swallowing, are symptoms of acid reflux, but, also can be experienced during a panic attack.
There is a strong relation between acid reflux and anxiety, actually, anxious people have greater chances to develop acid reflux and to experience worse symptoms.

Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied February 6th, 2009
I think I have this too! The feeling of being uable to breathe properly, when actually breathing fine, and the feeling of air in the throat are something I've had a lot of trouble with. I haven't come across the sores though.

I first had the problems after choking on some food, and I had already damaged my digestive system quite a bit after a glandular fever type virus I'd suffered a few months before.

I've had it for something like 5 years now. What Marija has said is exactly the diagnosis that I've received from my doctor as well. He's considering giving me a proton pump inhibitor to stop the reflux, but he's given me a less powerful medication to try first, which doesnt seem to have much of an effect. I don't believe it's anxiety-related in my case, because I had panic attacks before caused by an eye problem I also suffer from, and I never suffered this then.

If you are suffering from the same thing as I have, I'd recommend seeing your doctor about Gastroesophageal reflux disease. And if you do have to put up with it for a long time, I hope you can take some comfort in knowing that after a while you get quite used to it and it doesnt have much of an impact.

Let me know if you want me to go into more detail about any of this.

Hope to hear you're feeling better soon,
Steve.
|

replied September 26th, 2010
UNCOMFORTABLE FEELING IN MY THROAT AND CHEST
I had to go to hospital yesterday because i have had this awful heavy feeling in my chest.it is very uncomfortable like very bad heartburn only when i burp it does not clear and it feels like i have swallowed something and it has gone down the wrong way(which i havent) hospital done blood test heart trace and x-ray and all clear but i still have this awful feeling,think i need to have a test of my gullet or something think that is the only way they will see what this is.
|