Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Uncomfortable around people

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I'm currently 20 and these past years I've changed a lot.I don't really know what's wrong with me. I've begun to feel uncomfortable around people, including family and friends. I feel like I run out of things to say and is always trapped in my own conscience. I am no longer happy and i don't know what fun is anymore. When ever there is dead silence I feel like i have to talk but i don't and that makes me feel so uncomfortable. When ever I'm around new people I feel an uneasiness inside of me that slowly builds wanting to just lock my self up and not show myself. Before I even speak I have the fear of doing or saying something wrong and I end up doing nothing. When ever I'm by myself I sometimes think about those situations as if i was really there and begin to talk to my self in my head. I just can't keep my mind of things. Please help with my anxiety problems.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper unknownsj408
|

replied March 10th, 2010
Experienced User
First of relax and think that which type of things around you creates a problem. Then with full of confidence overcome your problem by showing yourself as a confident person and if there is a problem in your life which stops you by showing yourself then find out�
|

replied March 10th, 2010
I know just how you feel unknownsj408, i don't know why but whenever i'm around people i just seem to go to this place in my mind i just zone out, and i never use to be like that.
As i've grown up in quite a large family and had many friends i was always fine with people and now i just can't be with anyone useless i really have to be. I can't seem to find anything to say to the people that i know let alone new people. Its making me feel like i'm crazy.
I hate feeling the way i do but i can't seem to change it.
|

replied July 28th, 2010
This is a difficult problem. I'm sure if you could just relax and be confident you would not need to post in here. You can probably tell that the problem is all mental. Check out meditation. It will give you a better perspective from which to see and work on your difficulty. As Albert Eistein said : "A problem cannot be solved by the same level of consciousness that created it."
|

replied July 29th, 2010
Re: Uncomfortable around people
You are very young and a great life is ahead of you. Conversation and communication are very important skills. Once you have learnt, you will be comfortable with people.

unknownsj408 wrote:
I'm currently 20 and these past years I've changed a lot.I don't really know what's wrong with me. I've begun to feel uncomfortable around people, including family and friends. I feel like I run out of things to say and is always trapped in my own conscience. I am no longer happy and i don't know what fun is anymore. When ever there is dead silence I feel like i have to talk but i don't and that makes me feel so uncomfortable. When ever I'm around new people I feel an uneasiness inside of me that slowly builds wanting to just lock my self up and not show myself. Before I even speak I have the fear of doing or saying something wrong and I end up doing nothing. When ever I'm by myself I sometimes think about those situations as if i was really there and begin to talk to my self in my head. I just can't keep my mind of things. Please help with my anxiety problems.
|

replied November 5th, 2010
My advice is keep trying, Talk even If it comes out wrong there's always next time I can honestly say I feel worse than u I have horrible social phobia and I have dug a bigger hole by isolating myself and that sounds how I used to feel so whatever u do do not isolate yourself I also recommend you practice proper breathing techniques and also very important have a positive attitude toward uncomfortable situations
|

replied April 14th, 2012
i have similar problems and am 22. I have days when i can get away with it once in a blue moon. But otherwise i just dont know what to talk about or say. I have always been like this but its getting worse and now i cant even be bothered to talk to anyone because I know i wont know what to say. I am know so uncomfortable to be around or talk to. Few people who i do hang around with end up hanging around with others. Tough life.
|

replied September 26th, 2012
This describes my situation as well, I've noticed that when I'm near ANYONE I go into a state of mind that I feel I cant get out of. Hell, I'm not even comfortable around myself anymore. I've been studying this for a while and I recognize it as a mix of anxiety and fear. I think one of the best ways to get out of it, besides for medication, is to just sit by yourself for a couple hours and just think. Think about what goes through your head when you are in these type of situations and dont let your mind shut down. Keep thinking, and if your mind goes back to negative mode, you will feel it, and it will feel as if you do not know how to deal with it. That's when you repeat. Keep thinking, keep pushing. If start to feel more comfortable with yourself, try this in public, start with your eyes closed if you have to, but then keep trying more and more. Then, if you feel comfortable, try small talk, a small question, anything, just dont stop thinking and pushing yourself in a positive way. You are YOU, someone who makes a difference, and remember, you've got your whole life ahead of you, never forget that. And also remember you are not the only one, not even close, I have to go through this everyday, and I'm sixteen!!! And I know tens of thousands of people suffer from this also. Okay, good luck! Very Happy I'm exited!!!
|