Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Unable to stay awake, excessive daytime sleepiness?

For the past 4 years I have had troubled staying awake during the day. I would get around 8 to 9 hours of sleep a night, but still "nod off" during the day. At times while nodding off, I would continue to write (if I were in class) or worse think that I've had a conversation with someone. A couple of times I've caught myself nodding off while driving. I've tried drinking large amounts of caffeine from coffee, energy drinks, energy pills etc.. but these did not help. In addition, I have intense headaches, sweating, dizzness, and muscle fatigue. At times I feel there is a brain fog, and it takes me a minute to understand and respond to someone. I was prescribed Ritalin 2 years ago, and this has helped. I take one half of 20mg for 5 to 6 days a week, while in school. In addition, I would take L-Tyrosine, L-Glutamine, and B-12 during the morning. On Ritalin, most to all symptoms are alleviated. I have spoken to a physican, who has tested my thyroid (thought this might be the cause. My mother has Graves Disease (thyroid). However, these tests came back fine.
Recently I was notified by my physican that he was unable to give me another prescription of Ritalin, without seeing me. My insurance will not cover sleep disorders without problem or injury. I decided to not take the Ritalin or vitamins today (only have a few pills left), and it was terrible. I consumed an energy drink, large cup of coffee, 3 energy pills, and a Redline (energy drink from GNC, stronger than those found in stores), and I was still nodding off while in conversation with someone. Furthermore, I had chest pains and my left arm would at times go numb.

What could be the issue? Could this be excessive daytime sleepiness?
Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 7th, 2012
Im no expert but i believe there is a disorder where a person will, without warning, go to sleep. It could be while driving, eating, working, wherever. Like i said i am not an expert but you should see if your doctor can research this condition that i mentioned to see if you have it. If you do i believe there is some sort of machine that wakes you up when you start to "doze off" during the day. I may be confusing this machine for a different condition but it is only safe to ask
|

replied December 7th, 2012
I have restless leg syndrome and have had it since I was a toddler. About 4 years ago I was also diagnosed with narcolepsy. Narcolepsy is where you can fall asleep anywhere any time. But then I was looking for some help with my RLS and discovered that the med I took for my legs actually caused the narcolepsy. We have been trying for awhile not to get this all corrected but for the most part my RSL is running rampant and no one is sure what to do about them...They just don't seem to get it that I am bound to fall and hurt myself again if we don't get them under control. I hope some of this info helps at least a little bit.
|