Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Unable to poop

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
For some reason or another, for the past 4 days, I've been having a hard time pooping. The last time was 4 days ago, where I was constipated and had a chunk of dried up feces come out, which is what had clogged it. I realized how little fiber I had had recently, and decided to eat Steamed carrots and potatoes, along with fruit and a bowl of Mini Wheats, which have always helped. I expected to have to excrete again later that night, but didn't notice that I didn't have to. I woke up the next day and felt an urge to go, but nothing came out. I decided "Well, I'll get it later" and went to drink water and not eat as much as I usually would, for fear of a disaster. The day after (Day 3), I had forgotten I was going to get home late and couldn't go at school *I'm a 16-year-old in high school*, so I had to hold it in, as I usually go right after I get home from school. I got home and Noticed how uncomfortable I felt walking around and sitting. I tried to go again, but nothing. I got a little worried, but figured it'd clear up with a painfully dry and enlagred 'log' coming out. Day 4, today, I spent 2 hours trying to push something out. In the two hours, I noticed that my Anus was hard and very tight. I thought it might have somewhat scabbed over, due to the enlarged dry 'cork' I passed on day one, and I knew scabs took a while to return to normal. It then later took a laxative *as told to by my grandmother*, and felt my stomach churn and felt it start taking affect in my intestines, but I still can't pass anything. My anus is not expanding, and I can feel the poop waiting in the rectum. I'm afraid that It will cause a disease or infection for not being flushed out, and my grandparents, who control my rides, will not be happy to take me to the doctor to find out what's wrong, especially if it ends up being minor.

As I said, I'm only 16, have never experienced this before, and would like to know what you thought. I can push, but my body involuntarily stops because nothing is happening. The laxative, I'm afraid, might just make things worse.

Please help, anyone!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper RobnAZ
|

replied November 18th, 2009
Miralax is an over the counter stool softner that should help. Also eat anything with fiber (shredded wheat cereal is good) and plenty of water. If there is a history of colon cancer in your family go to your doctor immediately and start a "relationship" with them for the future.
|

In my earlier message I forgot to explain myself a bit. I am a 49 yr old woman who's father, aunt and grandmother died of colon cancer at fairly young ages. Since the age of 40 I've had 7 colonoscopies and have pre-cancerous polyps removed saving my life. My daughter is 16 and has not had a bowel movement on her own in 16 days. We are going to a Gastroenterologist who is going to do a colonoscopy day after tomorrow. We did a clean out today and tomorrow will continue to do so. She has had 2 enemas to help but still can't produce a bowel movement on her own. Do not WAIT for something to happen. Go to your doctor ESPECIALLY if there is any type of colon problems in your family. You'd be surprised how much of the problems we have are DNA related. Diet is also important but a good doc can help you with all you are experiencing. GOOD LUCK!
|

UPDATE
I was at school when you posted, sorry. The laxative kicked in and gave me unbearable pain, because it was trying to puch everything through a reluctant anus. Fortunately, It was pushed through. The sickening feeling was from a gas build-up, due to diarrhea and a 2.5-3 inch wide 'cork' blocking the hole. Strangely, none of it was dry, as I had suspected, but I pushed out much more after school, and the last was more of a normal 'log' shape, thankfully, so I can eat properly again. I DID have a lot of water and hot, unsweetened tea, along with 2 apples, 2 bananas, a laxative, and homemade banana pudding. I am sorry that has happened to your close ones, and I'll check to make sure about the colon problems, because most of my family's DNA is riddled with problems *Chronic back pain, cartilage problems, mental diseases, etc.*, although I will have a much smaller chance of having any Problems than my brothers or sisters, for the diseases I know of are all Dominant genes, and I only received recessive genes from both parents. But thank you, and good luck to your daughter. Hope it's easily fixed, whatever she has.
|

replied January 11th, 2010
Constipation and constant diarrea
I'm 47yrs.old and my problem is just like yours where I can't go,but I can't pass gas and have had just diarrea for 4yrs.now and I can't pass neither! I manually have to stimulate the anul to pass abit of gas and abit of diarrea.My stomach bloats out like I'm 5months pregnant! Every moring it takes me at least an hour.It's not good for the body to want to keep pushing there for it creates hemmoriods!.With me the fibre is really bothering me and causeing me to wanna go constantly and instead of diarrea I get the runs that can't come out accept abit at a time.Nothing showed up on my barium enema test.Waiting for Colonoscopy test.Hospitals and Doctors keep treating me and thinking Constapation!....NOT when I have only diarrea and That doesn't come out! I haven't had just normal stool in 4yrs.now! Anyone else have this kind of problem or may have an idea what I can do or what can cause this?
|

replied May 31st, 2013
CANT POOP!!! no preasure
HELP ok i am 16 and i am a vegiterian in good health i get fibers and everything and here the past 3-7 days i couldt press out myy poop and a day when i dint have to poop i sat down and i tried to press you know like you gotta poop and like my muscles are dead i cant press one bit help?!!
|

replied October 31st, 2013
Lower spine problem and constipation
Go to a good chiropractor and get your spine checked out, ESPECIALLY your lower spine (lumbar and sacral). Get your spine X-Rayed if you have to.

This is common problem, when you have spinal subluxation the nerves that control your rectal function got pinch. So your rectum is in a state of permanent contraction.

This could be the reason why your rectum refuse to open up, because it's contracted all the time.
|

replied October 31st, 2013
Go to a good chiropractor and get your spine checked out, ESPECIALLY your lower spine (lumbar and sacral). Get your spine X-Rayed if you have to.

This is common problem, when you have spinal subluxation the nerves that control your rectal function got pinch. So your rectum is in a state of permanent contraction.

This could be the reason why your rectum refuse to open up, because it's contracted all the time.

In the mean time, warm water enema could help you having bowel movement by liquifying the stools.
|