Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Unable to pass gas (Page 1)

Must Read
We burp, belch and fart an average of 12 times a day. But why do we have gas? And what is intestinal gas?...the basics here....
Intestinal gas forms from two main sources - swallowed air and bacteria in the intestine. Plus, learn which factors to avoid to decrease the likelihood of gas....
How much gas is normal? Usually symptoms of gas and flatulence are more bothersome than serious. But learn when you should seek help for excessive gas here....
I have a very strange problem. Past few days, my stomach was constipated and I was unable to pass stools, and could not pass wind. However, after taking fibre, water, juices, and mild exercise, i have had comfortable motions.

But I have been unable to pass wind. There is a gas build up in the colorectal area and anus and I cannot pass wind , how hard I try. I try to exert myself, but still unable to release the wind.

Due to this, I feel heaviness in my lower abdomen and rectum when i sit in the office. It feels as if I do have a lot of gas in that area, but no matter how much I try, I am unable to release it. Its an uneasiness feeling.

Any suggestions ? Could this be something else than flatulence or a stomach problem ? Since I am passing soft-stools and motions, I assume that it is NOT piles or haemorrhoids. Had it been that, I would not have been able to pass stools properly.

Regards, Puneet
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Inkjoy
|

User Profile
replied December 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Welcome to EHEALTH forum!
Difficult gas evacuation usually happens when there is ineffective muscle-nerve coordination (abnormal gut reflexes) in gastrointestinal track.
This lack of coordination may also produce constipation with retention of stool.
Constipation, along with abdominal bloating or a feeling of gas in the intestines, are common problems in Irritable bowel syndrome (functional intestinal disorder).
Be careful with fiber intake. Increase its intake slowly in your diet.
Some people feel bloated and have gas if they increase their fiber intake too quickly. Gas and bloating may improve as soon as you get used to eating more fiber.

Do you often feel abdominal pain and cramping, that may go away after having a bowel movement?
Are you experiencing a strong urge to have a bowel movement?
Do you feel like you still need to have a bowel movement after you've already had one?
|

replied June 12th, 2012
I have been unable to pass gas for as long as I remember...Horribly painfull. Here is my cure. Lay on your right side (in bed is fine) and rock slightly front to back. When you feel the urge to pass gas, use your hand and pull your left bottom cheek towards the ceiling. Relax muscles. It may take a while for this to work, but usually I am completely empty of painfull gas in about 20 minutes. Do not tire yourself rocking. rock a few times, then wait, then rock, the wait. It will come.
To burp, I sit crosslegged, as tall as I can and rock slightly side to side. After a bit this will become very uncomfortably. Continue rocking, very slightly side to side. You may need to adjust the angle of your ribs or your throat, sometimes i rock with my mouth open and pointed towards the ceiling. If you get tired, stop for a minute, relax, and then try again. Remember to sit all tall as you can.
|

replied December 5th, 2008
Unable to pass gas
I think you have hit the right spot. It could be ineffective muscles in my rectum or lower abdomen. I do not have any abdominal cramps, but I do feel arthritic-like pain in my hips.

Yes, I do not get a "void" feeling after I have evacuated.
Regards, Puneet
|

User Profile
replied December 11th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Eating healthy food, drinking enough water, exercising on a daily basis, will help you overcoming the constipation problem.
Once you get regular, normal bowel movements, it is expectable the gas issue to resolve itself, too.

Have a health day!
Marija
|

replied November 23rd, 2011
Eating wat types of foods exactly and can too much fiber supplements be bad
|

replied October 12th, 2012
It may be expectable, but all the water in the world (unless maybe that was all I ingested) would not solve mine. I've tried. And tried. And tried. And tried.
My system has serious mobility issues. Mobility, when in reference to bowels, refers to a lack of coordination by the long muscles that run down the length of the colon, and the circular muscles that encircle the colon. These two muscle groups should work together to grind and move fecal matter. But they do not always, and then people have mobility issues. I believe that IBS and mobility are really two different issues, but they are medically recognized as one. I believe that they are different because mobility issues do not respond well to fiber, even when slowly introduced. The muscles have a difficult enough time moving fecal matter, they allow gas to travel both ways in the colon. I can feel the gas going the right way, towards the exit, and then turn around and go the wrong way. This would not be possible if the muscles functioned normally. It is also very unpleasant.
|

replied January 13th, 2014
I have this exact problem. Can you tell me how you were diagnosed and if you received and treatment for help?
|

replied July 21st, 2009
I too am suffering from not being able to pass gas. Mine started with my first pregnany, about 7 weeks into my pregnancy I woke up one morning with severe heartburn and severe gas build up. The heartburn eventually went away around my second trimester but the gas problem stayed. I thought there was some sort of blockage in my colon that was preventing me from passing. I started feeling every moments of the gas build up and bubbling sensation. It would build up starting on my lower right side of the abdomin slowly move across the mid section and all of the sudden get stuck and not pass any further. It constantly builds up and then with great force just feeling like it was ripping through some blockage. The pressure is so bad I feel like there is a steel rod in going across my mid section and I feel like my back is going to snap in half. I also feel like my chest is going to burst. It got worse after my second pregnancy and finally had a colonoscopy done and the Dr found absolutley nothing wrong my my colon, which was baffling. Now the symptoms are getting worse with the burning feeling in my entire abdomin, chest and throat. I feel like my going to lose my mind and just miserable everyday. It's been four years now and I don't know if this is something I will have to live with for the rest of my life. I don't know how much more of this misery I will be able to take.

Hoping for some answers,

Su
|

replied June 14th, 2012
abdominal gas and heaviness in lower abdomin
Hi Su, I have been experiencing the same problem for a long time and at times I thought there was something on the right side of my abdomin. I have now learned to live with it by drinking plenty of water, my back really hurts as well and my lower abdomin feel very heavy due to excess gas. But!! fun enough I had a tooth problem and was prescribed two antibiotic and one strong pain killer.Two days later I start to break wind (gas) so much I had to dash in and out the room, within four days the heavy feeling was gone and so did the pain on the right side. I feel light and comfortable but worried if this will return now that I've complete the med. My thinking not sure, I might have had stomach bacteria. Talk to your doctor. I was given amoxycillin,flaygil(not sure about spelling) and mefenamic Acid(pontalon)read about these drugs or when visit the doctor ask him to tell you more. I don't know what did it. I have reduced dairy product intake and have a glass of hot water each morning before breakfast. Good luck Mo
|

replied October 12th, 2012
If you have not seen a doctor for these issues, you need to. It sounds like you have serious GERD (basically acid reflux). You many need to try serveral products before you find the right one. I take Dexilant, which most doctors seem to have never heard of, but it works beautifully.
Also I would suggest a product like Miralax, to soften stool, and the use of Senna tea, or a Senna product. This should provide some measure of relief. Hopefully! Good Luck, and I hope you feel better soon!
|

replied October 27th, 2012
hello suakim I suffer as you with same allmost 2years now ,my back has been bad for long time ,Im looking into the nervous system more that control colon ,and stablizer muscles, psoas,message deep helps and stretching,also taking mind off pain by activatys,like work,Im going for nerve block in a week,,,trust in the lord that made you ,and let this pain change you for the better,Im sorry you are suffering may the lord help you,
|

replied April 9th, 2013
try havaban harade a harbal remedy for gases available in any indian grocery shop. use 4 tablets at a time. this one is bad looking but very effective for gases .
|

replied September 23rd, 2009
Chronic abdominable pain
Dear Su:

My mother has the exact same symptoms that you have. Pain in right side which moves across the mid-section. It is a chronic pain and seems to consume her every thought. Just like you, every test known to man has been ran, to find nothing wrong. Every medication including pain medications have been given to her, to no relief. Any one that can help I would surely appreciate it.
|

replied September 21st, 2012
your mother has Gallstones, have her gallbladder checked, it could become dangerous, i know because i have them too
|

replied February 11th, 2010
Trouble passing gas/diarrea
I have the same thing! For almost 5yrs.! And diarrea that has trouble passing as well! Very strange...I go tomorrow for Colonoscopy and I'm terrified of afterwards cause they fill you with air!!! I Can't pass air/gas! Only alittle may come out at a time,long period of time! I'm thinking it's because of mouse infestation I've had for the past 5yrs.!?...I've had deer mice as well! Breathing in mice dust from their poop and urine and mice mites can cause these symptoms and some! Specially breathing it in through the heat vents too! Does anyone have this going on? Flue-like symptoms,headaches,joint pain,constant diarrea,dry cough....feel better when I stay at a friend's place....????
|

replied November 23rd, 2011
Wat ever happened after you wat did they tell you to do and take
|

replied March 21st, 2010
Okay, So I want to go back to the first guy's question and condition, because I am experiencing the exact same thing that he is. I am able to pass gas now and again, but it feel like there is a massive blockage even though I know there couldn't be. I have used an enema, with little success. Gas is building more and more, and since it can't go down, its going up. When I can't pass gas, I'll feel the need to burp instead (liquid has started to come up with the burps everyonce in awhile, and I'm hoping that it isn't from the enema but it certainly wasn't stomach acid, puke, or reguritated food or water... didn't think it would be possible for something like that to pass all the way through the intestines and go up...)
But just like in Punets case, I am unable to get a void feeling even after passing gas or stool, although no real amount of stool has come out since the blockage began 12 hours ago.
I've been having stomach problems lately though. Major build ups of gas (which could be a result of many things including my diet, but I recently started taking Erythromycin tablets which are known to give people upset stomachs, but only if they do not eat food when taking them. I've been eating, but ever since the pills began, the stomach problems began so I'm going off of them for awhile.) and a large amount of needing to relieve myself REGULARLY. Large amounts of stool coming out everytime, after some effort. But Now, no amount of effort is working, and I know of several ways to help relieve the gas and stool. Using your fingers to supply short steady pushes along your abomen towards the anus severly helps move it along, using your fingers just below the scrotum if necessary and/or if the stool is low enough. If just holding your breath and pushing doesn't work, blowing your nose seems to use another set of muscels that can help you out as well. But everything I've been able to use in the past has utterly failed me now. I am able to move the gas build up directly towards my rectum, but, no matter how hard I push, its almost immpossible to get anything out.

Does anyone know of any other Immediate Methods I could try to speed up the process (I'm afraid to use a laxitive because I already have a serious urge to go, and its quite painfull as it is, BUT if it would solve the problem & not simply make things worse, then I'd be willing to do it... My Grandmother had problems with this kind of muscel coordination as well and she had to get surgery to relieve it. I don't want things to get to that level for me, nor for that to ever have to happen.) I'm 19, so having this kind of problem is embaressing enough already.
And For Long Term Solutions would you mind being more specific with what kinds of exercises I should be trying to do, what kind of foods I might want to start trying (popular foods or specific foods, [I go to college so types of food available are limited, but I'll shop if necessary])
I sincerely thank you in advance for ANY help you are able to provide.
|

replied March 23rd, 2010
I mistakenly thought I couldnt pass gas often enough but I just was sort of creating the pain. It was mental, when I just forgot about it and stopped trying to force things the pain went away and I passed gas whenever I was supposed to. It was pretty strange and I always try to pass along the info to people just in case.
|

replied April 11th, 2010
I have had the same thing happening to me after taking the antibiotic Doxycycline. The only thing I have found to give me relief is prayer and extra strength gas-x softgels. It cannot be the chewable ones, they don''t work, only the softgels. Hope all of you find relief I will be praying for you.
|

replied April 11th, 2010
I have had the same thing happening to me after taking the antibiotic Doxycycline. The only thing I have found to give me relief is prayer and extra strength gas-x softgels. It cannot be the chewable ones, they don''t work, only the softgels. Hope all of you find relief I will be praying for you.
|

replied April 27th, 2010
i cannot burp
hello, i have a simlar problem, i am unable to burp. i have hardly ever burped in my life,im a 22 yearold female. i get extreme bloating which is also very painful after fizzy drinks and some meals. i get a gurgling noise which comes up my throat and then stops. its embarassing. Does any one know what this is? Thanks
|

replied May 12th, 2010
To the ManWithProblems,

Im 19 too, and have the same exact problems. I am active (play soccer and workout 4 days out of the week) but I have had difficulty with passing gas the last month. My stool consistency has also changed. I used to be able to go about 1 hour after I eat and get that nice empty feeling but now I feel like there is some left in the tank every time. I do go everyday but it just doesn''t feel right and the gas is really get to me. I did a stool test recently and they found some of this parasite/ bacterium called blastocystis hominis in small amounts. I am on this course of Flagyl for 7 days. Hopefully that helps, but I am feeling doubtful. Let me know what you''ve been doing because I just want to get back to normal and live life...sad face.
|

replied May 31st, 2010
I cannot seem to pass gas anymore either, it gets worse with my chronic constipation/diarrhea. One thing that makes me fart are the fiber one granola bars. Usually about 3 - 4 hours after consuming. Only fiber that seems to do the trick. No I do not work for the company. Hope it helps some of you.
|

replied December 17th, 2010
this solution worked for me!
jimjemma I don't burp either and have that gurgling sound all the time haha I have no idea what it is.

To all other females: have you tried birth control pills before? I've had constant bloating and ab pain, inability to pass gas, nausea, constipation, and occassional diarrhea for over a year. The constipation was so bad I couldnt have a BM without a laxative, and the gas bloating was so bad I had to stop playing soccer and track or any kind of exercise. I'm 20 years old and doctors just slap Irritable Bowl Syndrome as the cause and tell me to deal with it. It's ridiculous, I used to be so healthy, diet-wise and exercise too, and no doctor can tell me what is wrong.

This summer I took birth control pills for the first time for a week, stopped, then after a couple days ALL OF MY GAS/IBM/CONSTIPATION issues WENT AWAY completely for one week before the problems returned. I just repeated the experiment. I was on the pill for a whole month, stopped, and my issues went away for over 2 months. It's been beautiful to be without the pain. The constipation doesn't go away WHILE on the pill, only after I stop taking them which is strange!

I now have the same old crap problems so I will get on the pill again and just keep self-medicating with birth control pills. I don't know if this will help anyone, but luckily I came across this and it made my issues go away. My doctors aren't sure why it helps.
|

replied May 29th, 2012
WOW that’s interesting. Not sure if ill try that but very good to know. I think hormones probably have a huge component in all these “unexplainable” IBS IBD conditions. From what you said I just realized maybe hormones could be a trigger or alter the body chemistry! Statistically people (including me) are diagnosed as teens. And a lot also I think during or after pregnancy… I really wanna get a full spectrum hormone check, but I’ve mentioned this to doctors and there’s no “reason” to test me so they wont.
|

replied February 15th, 2011
19 year old: I have the same problem. Another technique is putting your arms straight up over your head and stretch for the ceiling when a strong bout of pain comes( when on the throne of course ) then relax and let your arms rest on your head. Also helpful turning your upper body to the left or right, ( left for me) so you are reaching towards the wall behind you. Sounds ridiculous, but is how i survive. Dairy seems to be a big NO NO! you may be lactose intolerant as well. I didn't know until I was 30. I love cheese, milk, yogurt... But have to stay away from it. Lots of beans, lentils and broccoli are good for you and healthy BUT cause me a great deal of pain. Let me know if you learn anything. Fellow sufferer.
|

replied February 25th, 2011
Bloated Tummy and Cramping
I get a bloated stomach and constant cramps in the stomach which I can only imagine feel like contractions. The cramps last about 5 seconds then I have a dull pain until my next set of cramps. My tummy bloats, most time I have to undo my pant buttons - during this time I am unable to pass wind or do a number two! I only experience releif about 12 hours later when I can pass gas like no tommorrow and my bloating and cramps will consequently subside!

Any similar experiences? Have you had them investigated?
|

User Profile
replied February 25th, 2011
Community Volunteer
Hi Mook44 and any other posters asking this question...I have found that one of the easiest ways to pass gas or have a BM when you are constipated, is to sit on the "jon" and lean forward and roll back and forth to release the pressure that may be cramping your colon...Don't try to force it...It it doesn't work then get up and come back later...Hope this helps...Take care...

Caroline

Be sure and have lots of fiber in your diet....
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied April 4th, 2011
Bowel
I have had this same problem since 1990 when I had a hysterectomy. It comes and goes and if I stay of food just have liquids for a week im fine,

I also take slippery elm which lines and heals the stomach. another one is Bowel essence...
it works wonders...
|
12 >>