Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Unable to pass gas after hysterectomy

Must Read
We burp, belch and fart an average of 12 times a day. But why do we have gas? And what is intestinal gas?...the basics here....
Intestinal gas forms from two main sources - swallowed air and bacteria in the intestine. Plus, learn which factors to avoid to decrease the likelihood of gas....
How much gas is normal? Usually symptoms of gas and flatulence are more bothersome than serious. But learn when you should seek help for excessive gas here....
I had a vaginal hysterectomy 2 weeks ago. I have not had any pain or problems until day 11 after my surgery. I started having bowel & intestinal cramps & pain that will not go away. It's severe, steady pain which only gets work with gas pain rolling up & down my stomach all day & night. I am unable to pass the gas. I'm haveing pretty normal bowel movements although yesterday morning I took a laxative suppository b/c I thought I might be constipated. No relief. Does anyone have any idea what this is & if it could be related to my hysterectomy?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jassev
|

replied January 8th, 2009
I had the same surgery back in 2001 and the same feeling of discomfort from it. It will go away.
|

replied March 26th, 2009
Had a vag hysterectomy on Monday,can't get rid of gas pain. Abdominal pressure,and constant lower back pain, feels like severe menestrual cramps. Hard to differ if it is difinitely gas pain or from the surgery. Trying to take tylenol 500, hate to take statex. Can't get comfortable. Slight bleeding noted yet. Taking gasex, with some effect, and drinking anise seeds for gas.
|

replied July 11th, 2009
I am on my 12th day of a vaginal hysterectomy> On day 11 I was doing pretty good and then all of a sudden I had severe lower back pain and my lower abdomen pain. Also had lots of pressure there when I stood up. It got so bad I could barely walk and it hurt to urinate. I was fine as long as I was laying down and I had lots of movement in stomach also. Then I had a bowel movement this morning and things are much better. Does anyone have any lower abdomen pressure on the right side?
|

replied February 17th, 2010
i had a vaginal hysterectomy 3 weeks ago and feel the exact same pain . but it hurts when i stand or lay down.
|

replied February 7th, 2011
Vaginal Hysterectomy
I Had a vaginal hysterectomy on Feb 1st. I am noticing increase in lower back pain and Gas pressure. The gas feels like it's ripping through my stomach. Right side pain also. Is any one else having this?
|

replied March 23rd, 2011
Gas after Hysterectomy
I had a LAVH on March 1st and have the same rolling gas pains. Right side pain/burning as well in lower ab area. I'm assuming this will all go away but I just read about bowel adhesions and that is scary to think about.
|

replied March 2nd, 2011
Pain after hysterectomy
i had robotic hysterectomy 6 days ago. Yesterday i felt so good i went for a couple of small walks outside. Last night the gas in my stomach was so intense i thought i was going to pass out.. I thru up a couple of times, no fever, just severe pain lower right side of stomach. It hurts when i sit down, like a knife is cutting into my rectum. I amthinking it must be gas. How do you get RID OF IT??? i have been taking gas x and no results. anything else i can try????
|

replied April 27th, 2011
Walk! The quickest way to get rid of gas, is walk. Walk up and down your street. Walk for 10 minutes. Four times a day. And drink water. With all of your meals even snacks, drink water. By the end of day your goals should be walking atleast an hour! and drinking atleast a gallon of water, or more if you can.
|

replied May 4th, 2011
Wide Awake in AM since hysterectomy.
I am so happy to find this site. I had a robotic total hysterectomy 1.5 years ago due to a uterine prolapse. I had no pain in the 4 incisions made by the robot. The one made by my doctor still has pain around the area, which is lower right side. Also, a little numbness and tingling as well. I ended up with a bladder prolapse two months after surgery. I started taking non-stimulant stool softeners because it seemed I could literally feel the bowel movement move through my insides at night. If I wake in the night to urinate, I must rush and get back in bed because I feel things churning. I now wake up every morning and must rush to the restroom to have a BM. It is nice being regular now and I was never able to wake up this early, so that is nice too. If I do not go, I feel like it is sitting in my groin all day and is very uncomfortable. Anyone else have this?
|