Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

unable to digest certain foods

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
For the last few months I've had excessive burping even upon waking- I can't seem to digest certain foods fats- sugar - although it's hard to know what foods don't give me problems because I am also lactose intolerant and have excessive gas from certain vegetables and fruit. I seem to have less of a problem when I eat protein and no dairy. I've had every test done- I was tested for celiac. It was negative. The only thing the endoscope showed was that my esophagus was very red/ acid reflux. I do not have any heartburn though. I did have my gall bladder removed a few years ago because it wasn't working. I asked my dr if he thought it might be coming from that and he said my symptoms would be different. I don't really have pain- just discomfort- and I fill up very easily. I've also lost a lot of weight. I also have relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis. I take interferon once a week. I have no problems with my ms. I haven't had an attack in over ten years. I am very active, in great shape. I work out on a regular basis. Lately different joints are starting to hurt- my knee is bad. I thought maybe it was from running, but now I'm wondering if it's related to my stomach. I do have an excessive amount of stress. Any idea what this could be or where it could be coming from. The only food I can eat that gives me the least problem is sushi- plain fish-I can't keep living on that. I don't know what to do or what type of dr to see. Is it a food intolerance? Some type of hernia maybe? I noticed it's worse when I lie down and sit up. Thanks, Andi
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 18th, 2011
Hello and thank you for your post on e health forum.

Since bloating and burping is the main cause of your worry, apart from Gastric reflux, you can benefit from the following OTC medications.

1. antacids (Tums, mylanta) can be continued to relieve the acidity.

2. Omeprazole will help to reduce acid secretions ;

3. Activated charcoal will reduce the bloating sensation,

4. Probiotics and digestive enzyme supplements will help to improve digestion.

I hope this helps.

|

replied April 23rd, 2011
Re: unable to digest certain foods
andila wrote:
For the last few months I've had excessive burping even upon waking- I can't seem to digest certain foods fats- sugar - although it's hard to know what foods don't give me problems because I am also lactose intolerant and have excessive gas from certain vegetables and fruit. I seem to have less of a problem when I eat protein and no dairy. I've had every test done- I was tested for celiac. It was negative. The only thing the endoscope showed was that my esophagus was very red/ acid reflux. I do not have any heartburn though. I did have my gall bladder removed a few years ago because it wasn't working. I asked my dr if he thought it might be coming from that and he said my symptoms would be different. I don't really have pain- just discomfort- and I fill up very easily. I've also lost a lot of weight. I also have relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis. I take interferon once a week. I have no problems with my ms. I haven't had an attack in over ten years. I am very active, in great shape. I work out on a regular basis. Lately different joints are starting to hurt- my knee is bad. I thought maybe it was from running, but now I'm wondering if it's related to my stomach. I do have an excessive amount of stress. Any idea what this could be or where it could be coming from. The only food I can eat that gives me the least problem is sushi- plain fish-I can't keep living on that. I don't know what to do or what type of dr to see. Is it a food intolerance? Some type of hernia maybe? I noticed it's worse when I lie down and sit up. Thanks, Andi

Well, hum, interferon will interfere with the digest tract as will digestive meds. Have you read up on interferon? side effects, adverse reactions and read up about those who are taking it? Its a very powerful drug which does not achieve much in terms of healing.

Have you taken any meds other than interferon? antibiotics? off the counter? Why did you have your gallbladder removed?

Look up various enzymes (natural), it will help. You may have problems with bile production, pancreas, and other functional dysfunction which can be caused by medications. See my previous post which I copied and pasted here:

Hi I read your post very carefully. The problems you are experiencing are functional, not anatomical.

Are you taking any medications?

Previously to your symptoms, did you take any antibiotics even a year or two before? If yes, which ones?

Many of us are having symptoms such as yours. The enteric symptoms contains neurotransmitters CYPS etc.. and when these are dysfunctional, often caused by medications, the primary culprits are antibiotics, and psychotropics, it causes such damage as yours as well as inflammation of the stomach lining.

The nervous enteric system is linked to neurotransmitters and neurons in the brain too, vagus nerve etc.. which can cause symptoms to the whole digestive tract. The stomach contains millions neuron, and neurotransmitters such as dopamine, norepinephrine, serotonin and glutamate can be found in the gut.

Foods which are high glutamate, lysine, and some other amino acids can make symptoms worse.

Motolity is one primary example of this, as well as bowel movements.

Anyway, it would be interesting to find out your medical history.

Read more: Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum - Irregular bowels caused by poor digestion ? http://ehealthforum.com/health/irregular-b owels-caused-by-poor-digestion-t235143.htm l#ixzz1KMSR4FrQ
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.