Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Umbilical Hernia

Hello there. I just joined the forum a few seconds ago. My real name is Tom. I am 49 years old and was recently diagnosed with an umbilical hernia. December 11 & 18 during a routine checkup with my primary physician and a follow up visit with a surgeon, respectively. Not to mention that my birthday is January 1 (New Years Day). What a s----y way to spend your Christmas and New Year!

I guess I just have a few questions:

1. Has anybody else had this surgery, and if so, what were the results? I have done some research, and it seems it WOULD be in my best interest to get this done. Oh, I know that there are risks as with any surgery, it's just that some personal experiences and online friends would really help right now.

2. I am obese, and I am trying to lose some weight and some of this "whale belly" before I schedule the surgery. I like to work out at the company gym on the treadmill & elliptical trainer. I used to lift weights but I have stopped that. I don't think that the treadmill & elliptical will hurt; but my question is this: Is there something else that I can do as another form of exercize (yoga or pilates, for example)? ANY and all suggestions would be appreciated, as I do not want to just sit around on my fat ass all day. Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 18th, 2010
Most otherwise healthy patients with umbilical hernias can perform cardio type exercises. I would would suggest that you avoid lifting weights of more than 20 pounds until you have fully recovered from your surgery.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.