Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Umbilical Hernia

Hello there. I just joined the forum a few seconds ago. My real name is Tom. I am 49 years old and was recently diagnosed with an umbilical hernia. December 11 & 18 during a routine checkup with my primary physician and a follow up visit with a surgeon, respectively. Not to mention that my birthday is January 1 (New Years Day). What a s----y way to spend your Christmas and New Year!

I guess I just have a few questions:

1. Has anybody else had this surgery, and if so, what were the results? I have done some research, and it seems it WOULD be in my best interest to get this done. Oh, I know that there are risks as with any surgery, it's just that some personal experiences and online friends would really help right now.

2. I am obese, and I am trying to lose some weight and some of this "whale belly" before I schedule the surgery. I like to work out at the company gym on the treadmill & elliptical trainer. I used to lift weights but I have stopped that. I don't think that the treadmill & elliptical will hurt; but my question is this: Is there something else that I can do as another form of exercize (yoga or pilates, for example)? ANY and all suggestions would be appreciated, as I do not want to just sit around on my fat ass all day. Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 18th, 2010
Most otherwise healthy patients with umbilical hernias can perform cardio type exercises. I would would suggest that you avoid lifting weights of more than 20 pounds until you have fully recovered from your surgery.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.