Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Umbilical Hernia Repair

Hi,
About 6 or 7 years ago I had an umbilical hernia reapir done at my local hospital.
I had a choice of either having no belly button at all, or having the doctor do the best he could at leaving some tissue there and making it look as natural as possible.
Now, after all this time, I am getting what looks like a "white head" pimple in that area where he performed surgery. It is hard white skin with no discharge or puss in it, because about every 2 weeks, it falls off and then re-grows.
It is not really painful unless you irritate it on the bed sheets or accidentally rub against something and hurt it. Then it sort of pinches.
There is no redness around it so I don't think it is an infection.
Could it be maybe external scar tissue that I have to deal with?
Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 6th, 2010
Unfortunately, since I cannot examine you, it is really not possible for me to specifically answer your question. You should follow-up with your surgeon.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied January 14th, 2013
I had a similar thing. It turned out to be one of the deep tissue sutures that had dislodged and started pushing on the skin. My repair became worse over a couple of years and resulted in another hernia above the site.

I have since had a mesh repair which seems to be going well. I am five weeks into recovery.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.