Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Spleen Forum

Ultrasound shows "slightly enlarged" spleen?

Must Read
Got pain under your left side ribs? Is your left abdomen swollen or tender to touch? You might be dealing with a problem related to the spleen!...
Certain diseases can cause the spleen to swell to several times its normal size. Learn the signs and symptoms of spleen problems here....
An enlarged spleen is the result of an underlying disorder. What spleen disorders do doctors consider during diagnosis? What tests do they use?...
Hello. I've been having a multitude of issues for about a month and a half now. Let me start the story at the beginning...

I gave birth to my first child on Sept. 3, 2010. when she was about 6 weeks old I started having a few problems... heart racing, trouble breathing, tingling arms and legs... and abdominal pain. I finally freaked out and went to the ER, where they ran a metabolic panel and did a CBC, and sent me home saying I had postpartum depression and anxiety. They failed to mention that my white blood cell count was slightly elevated (11.2)

A couple days later I started having a constant pain in the upper left side of my abdomen. A week later I went to the ER again for this, and the ER doc basically poked me in the stomach and said "you have a hernia" and sent me on my way. A few more days later and I was having pain in the upper right side too. I followed up with my internist a week later.

She said that I do NOT have a hernia, but that I do have a sinus infection and GERD, and sent me for an ultrasound to determine what was causing the abdominal pain. She also had them run another metabolic panel and CBC. She gave me a zpack for the sinus infection. The ultrasound came back with everything looking fine, except that my spleen is "slightly enlarged" at 13 cm. The only thing off on my CBC was that my white blood count was even higher, at 13.3. She chalked that up to the sinus infection (which by the way has gotten worse and is now a full blown cold) Now she wants me to go for a CT Scan.

This has been going on for about a month, and I just want to know what it is! I assume the pain on the upper left is from the swollen spleen, but what is causing the rest of this stuff, and how on earth can they be connected? I was so sure that something was up with my gallbladder because of some of the below symptoms, but the ultrasound showed my gallbladder as normal.

Other symptoms: loose, light colored stool and occasional diarrhea, almost constant gas (to the point I can feel it moving around inside me) and belching, occasional low grade fever, low back pain, and oddly, blurred vision (though I am due for an appointment at the eye doctor later this month, so could be unrelated.) I am also having pain in my lower abdomen now on occasion, in addition to the constant pain in my left side, and pain that comes and goes on the right.

Has anyone experienced any of this together? If you got through all of that, I appreciate you reading.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper brittastic
|

User Profile
replied December 27th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Hi brittastic and welcome to ehealth: I will agree that you are getting confusing views on your health...If I were you I would try to note all the problems and then present them to the doctor...Very often when you worry about something the pain can escalate...After a while it gets confusing...Good luck and I hope things settle down...Having a baby is a big happening...This, too, could be behind a few problems...You are at a wonderful time in life...Take care...

Caroline
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied February 14th, 2012
Your experience is identical with what's going on with me right now. I would be interested in hearing how you made out as I am trying to piece together my enlarged spleen with the twitching/pain with my limbs.

You can contact me
|

replied March 11th, 2012
Spleen Questions pain
Hi what were the symptoms of your enlarged spleen? I have been suspecting this for a while I have pain below my left rib cage which travels round to my side and on to to my back constant heavy ache, then short gripping pains with sweating sometimes and makes me feel sick. The area also feels hot to the touch. Also, Lying in my bed at night I notice that my left arm constantly feels likes its twitching and jumping inside though not moving! very strange - dont know if that's connected or not just saw your post! Saw the doctor about this ongoing horrible pain. twice now, took blood test for stomach bugs, urine test for kidney infection last time (not that) and he has now presribed me one months course of Omeprazole and advised pain was my stomach lining, Not that he hardly even took the time to listen to me or examine me. Saig I would beel better in 2 weeks and might not need to complete the course. Dont know how long this med taks, but have been taking it now since 4 days and I am still in costant pain. I feel that it is my spleen on reading about spleen enlargement symptoms, can you advise?
|

replied July 31st, 2013
Spleen
Poppymo ... What was the final outcome? Your experience spunds similiar to mine.
|

replied August 4th, 2013
Might help
Hi! I have a slightly enlarged spleen because I have mono. Did this get ruled out? Also, you might want to look in to Bowen therapy. It's very neat. I don't know if this helps, best wishes Smile
|