Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Ugly in a beautiful world

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
46 yo male. Married---3 kids. Beautiful kids, pretty hot wife. Yet somehow---I am ugly. I am successful but in a job that doesn't require me to be particularly good looking.
I have struggled with my looks my whole life. My face is just really ugly. My kids kind of look like me but they are beautiful. I lost my hair at a young age but even before that struggled mightily with my looks. I guess I am in shape and women enjoy that. Honestly I dont know how to fix it...being around all of these beautiful people makes me realize just how easy it is for them. How they receive praise for being handsome or pretty while us ugly people are treated like we are second class citizens. Its horrible . I am ranting but its all so true and because I am painfully aware of how people perceive me, how they make little jokes behind my back, how I get the "your wife must be really good looking " comments when they see my kids. Its endless. Its---exhausting. I just want to fit in and be at ease in social situations, but instead many times I can only focus on how I look and it just drains me. I dont have anyone I can confide in about this--the few times Ive even mentioned it--those people just treated me weird. Oh and to boot my whole family is very attractive as well. sigh.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 20th, 2011
This is something that a lot of people struggle with. You might have heard it all before, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It may seem a hackneyed phrase, but truly, what's on the inside reigns far superior to what's on the outside. No, not to everyone it doesn't, but to those people that matter, it does.

The reason people treat others so shallowly is because society is corrupt. When society looks at someone, they see them as one judging a book by it's cover. When you know deep down you are so much more than that.

It all starts with learning to love yourself for who you are. To realize that you were wonderfully made. When you look in the mirror, focus on what you like about yourself and go from there. It's a process, and there are going to be days when you just feel awful, and there will be others when you really feel you're making progress.

I wish you the best of luck and hope that with every passing day, you'll see that you are truly someone wonderful.

Take care & God bless
|
Did you find this post helpful?