Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

Type 1 diabetic and TTC

Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
Hello! My name is Sarah. I am a 26 year old and I've had type 1 diabetes for 6 years. Last Dec/January my husband and I started trying to conceive our first child. We have had no luck, and I'd heard that it would be a good idea for me to see an RE. I'm not having much luck with my regular PCP or my OB/GYN. They are both great doctors, but seem stumped by my problem, especially with me being a type 1 diabetic.
I don't know where to go from here...who to see.
My husband and I don't have a lot of money, but we want a baby so badly. We have been saving for a year but if it turns out that for some reason I am infertile, we'd like to spend our nest egg on adoption, or possibly finding a seragent mother. What I'm trying to say, is that we don't want to end up spending a little of our money here and there trying a lot of different things and ending up with no money and no results. My husband has had a SA. The first one came back with low motility, but he went again and it came back perfectly fine. The second time he also had labs done and they were all good to.
I recently had my progesterone tested and I haven't heard back about the result yet. My OB wanted me to get the labs drawn for the progesterone on CD 21. I called the office on CD 20 because I still hadn't confirmed ovulation that month but they said that was fine. I ended up confirming ovulation on CD 20, so it seems to me that CD 21 would have showed the more progesterone out of any of my cycle days. So I feel like even if the result is good, I still won't be sure. I have a short LP and recently I've started spotting 3 - 4 days before my period comes. I've never spotted before. Also, my temp drops close to the coverline (I chart) after about 4 - 6 days after ovulation. Thats why I thought my progesterone might be low. But testing it the say after I ovulate doesn't seem like it would give accurate results for the issues I've been having. I don't really know how that all works though.
I have also had pretty bad cramps when on my period, except when I was on BC for 3 years. For the past few months I notice cramping starting about 7 days after ovulation, until my period comes. My OB thinks I may have endometrioses, but she didn't give me any information on how to find out if I do. She said the next test they would do if my labs came back ok would be to shoot dye into me to make sure my tubes are open. It's over $1000.
I keep my blood sugars under good control. Lately I've struggled with low blood glucose if anything. I don't have a lot of highs.
Sorry for all the information! I just feel like I've gone to so many doctors and people for advice and I haven't gotten anything thats helped yet.
I rarely drink alcohol, and I very rarely drink caffeine (once or twice a month for both). I've been on pre-natal vitamins for over a year, and I've been using preseed since last June.
HELP please!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 9th, 2009
You certainly have done a lot of work, and I can appreciate your frustration. I think that a reproductive endocrinologist visit to discuss all your issues would be appropriate. Your symptoms and some of your irregularity in your period could also suggest a thyroid abnormality. Consider having your thyroid levels screened if not done recently. I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.