Medical Questions > Parenting > Kids Health and Pediatrics Forum

two year old daughter will not stop eating chalk!

my two year old daughter eats and licks chalk when she can get her hands on it! i would like to know why she does this we take it away from her for a while and then we give it back when she wants to draw again then she eats it again! she is on a medication for seizures and i was thinkin maybe that might be a factor but im clueless should i take her somewhere? does anyone elses kids eat chalk? she also enjoys dust and occasional bit of dirt,grit,mud etc????
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 28th, 2009
Supporter
You daughter has pica, a disorder that causes a craving to eat nonfood items. Some people eat baby powder, dirt, clay, cornstarch, even cigarette ashes. In your daughter's case I don't think the chalk will hurt her, although, breathing in a lot of chalk dust can cause respiratory problems. I would mention this to your pediatrician at her next checkup.
|

replied April 15th, 2009
Wow she sounds like me when i was younger.. I started out when I was young stealing chalk from off of my teachers desk and then started with the rocks and dirt, sand.. I dont know i really thought it was just something i did i didnt know it was a "disorder" but I'm 19 now and ive trained myself not to eat the stuff but the cravings are there alot.... but yeah take her to a doctor and see what they say i've just learned to cope
|

replied July 25th, 2011
I have a friend that has a son that will be 3 in October. I have been watching him for about a week, and this kid eats everything. I have seen him eat, plastic, hair, thread from his clothes, dirt, and even his own poop! I am very concerned but my friend seems to think he is just fine...anyone have any answers?
|

User Profile
replied July 27th, 2011
Supporter
Sounds to me like the child is stuck in the oral phase. Most kids age out of this stage pretty early in life but some have more of an oral fixation that compels them to lick, eat, or chew on all kinds of things. Just to be on the safe side I would advise the parent to speak to the pediatrician but there is really nothing to be done except keep a watchful eye on the child, try to teach him about germs and wait for him to grow out of it.
|
Quick Reply