Medical Questions > Parenting > Newborn Babies Forum

Two thumbs on a hand ?

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
User Profile
Most people will think just cut the addition thumb. You may ask a doctor to cut it off.
What should I do?
1) If you're too old(40 years and above), don't pregnant! This may cause your baby will get an addition thumb.
2) If after you born your baby, you saw your baby has two thumbs on a hand, ask a high study doctor to cut the addition thumb.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 22nd, 2010
Community Volunteer
Re: What to do if my children have two thumbs on a hand?
jenet1964 wrote:
Most people will think just cut the addition thumb. You may ask a doctor to cut it off.
What should I do?
1) If you're too old(40 years and above), don't pregnant! This may cause your baby will get an addition thumb.
2) If after you born your baby, you saw your baby has two thumbs on a hand, ask a high study doctor to cut the addition thumb.

Let's address your #1 point. While advanced maternal age increases the chance of birth defects or genetic disorders, ANY and EVERY pregnancy carries a risk of faulty genes/defects. I have known many women who were considered at advanced maternal age who have had perfectly healthy babies with no extra thumbs or any defects. I have also known many women, considered at the prime of their childbearing ages (20-30 years old) who have had children with severe medical issues/genetic defects.

Having a healthy baby is not just dependant upon age, there are many factors involved, including the genes of the mother and father and the health of the mother pre-pregnancy and during pregnancy, as well as many other things. And even in very healthy couples, sometimes there is a fluke in the genes, causing a defect in the baby.

As far as having an extra digit, this is considered a small flaw, not a huge genetic defect. You CAN opt to have it surgically removed or you can just leave it be.
|

replied May 23rd, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
Additional body parts isn't a developmental disorder. Maternal age plays no significant part in the risks. They're almost entirely based on heredity.
|

replied May 24th, 2010
Experienced User
I have a neice who has 2 pinky toes. Her only problem in life has been in wearing shoes. She has graduated collage and is fine.
The causes on a disorder can be caused by a wide aray of things happening as you would have sen some mention in the list from motherofhighstiritedones.

However this is by all means a personal choice to be made between you and your family as well as a qualified doctor. The Dr. "may" want to wait to see if it will stop growing in a very short amount of time. This does not lessen the quailty of life that you youngin' will have. This is a personal choice and it could be by genetics, something that did glitch in the bodys DNA , outside factors, and yes even age related.
Good luck to you in your decission, and may you all be well,
Temperwolf
|

replied December 21st, 2011
2 thumbs can be a developmental problem as they cannot do the pincher grip and can have problems picking up small objects like finger food.
Child will probably have to have one removed if he is going to be using that hand all the time. Also can get picked on when at school because he is different! Most parents are advised to have the thumb removed so he can make a choice to be left or right handed if only on one hand and so he is no different from anyone else. Children can be cruel! Even though we as adults think it is cute on a child with an extra thumb and in Ireland I think it is it is supposed to be lucky!
|

replied December 21st, 2011
Extra thumbs and toes
2 thumbs can be a developmental problem as they cannot do the pincher grip and can have problems picking up small objects like finger food.
Child will probably have to have one removed if he is going to be using that hand all the time. Also can get picked on when at school because he is different! Most parents are advised to have the thumb removed so he can make a choice to be left or right handed if only on one hand and so he is no different from anyone else. Children can be cruel! Even though we as adults think it is cute on a child with an extra thumb and in Ireland I think it is it is supposed to be lucky!
|

replied May 30th, 2012
I have a son now he is 2 years old was born with two thumbs he was my forth child 2 boy 2 girls. I got pregnant at 34 years old with him and no history of the birth defect. I found a really good doctor and had his surgery at 9 months old. His did really well the only thing is he hated the big cast he wore and actually removed it on third day. That was the only hard part keeping cast on a baby lol... So happy did it though, there are conflicting opinions out there but I know I made the right choice. I also have two elementary kids and when u would go kids notice his hand cause it looks like a really large thumb!!?? That would say stuff like what happen to him and why, there was a kid who said it look creepy. There only kids and kids are curious.... I just knew then if I left it on that would be what came to him when he entered school. I just wanted to comment here because I didn't find anything to read on subject when I was going through this difficult time..... My name is Brandy from San Antonio a proud mom of 4
|

replied June 23rd, 2012
My brother was born with two thumbs on one hand he now in his thirtys and still has it he had the choice of taking it of or keeping it he said he be lost with out it as it's part of him they can still do normal things with there hands your best bet is to wait till he old enough and let him chose what he wants to do keep it or have it removed as long as he happ and not causing him problems he be fine
|