Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vision and Eye Disorders Forum

Twitching under eye for over a month

Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....
I have been having this constant muscle or nerve spasm under my eye for over a month now, I don't really feel it, unless I focus on it and I can feel the sensation of it pulsing. It's usually worse in the morning and goes crazy and I don't notice it so much towards the end of the day, other people have been noticing it though so it is becoming a real pain.

I went to the optician who wants to keep an eye on it, I've read sometimes they can start from stress and I have had a lot of stress the last few weeks, but I'm not sure why it hasn't just stopped. It's very irritating and I wouldn't have thought it would have lasted this long if it was due to stress?

Can anyone shed some light on what this is and what I can do to stop it?

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 13th, 2012
It sounds like you may be referring to a spasm or "twitching" in the skin area of the eyelids under or around your eyes, and not physically below your eyeball itself.

Eyelid twitching is pretty common. Usually only the bottom lid of one eye is involved, but the top eyelid also can twitch. Most eye twitches come and go, although they can last for weeks or even months.

Eyelid twitching is called Myokymia and there are typical triggers. Theses small spasms may be triggered by:

Stress
Fatigue
Eye strain
Caffeine
Alcohol
Dry eyes
Allergies

While annoying, these types of twitches are benign and usually go away on their own. The trick is to avoid any triggers that may be affecting you.

More serious forms of eyelid twitching are caused by neurological conditions such as blepharospasm or hemifacial spasm. These conditions are much less common and should be diagnosed and treated by an eye doctor.

If your twitching is persistent, you should have an eye exam to rule out common causes like eye strain and dry eyes. Even if your vision seems excellent, your eyes may be working harder than you know to achieve this excellence. This is even more true if you spend a lot of time working in front of a computer.

You can also discuss with your doctor other remedies, such as Botox injections, to control your twitching.

Please keep in mind this answer is for informational purposes only and does not replace the evaluation and diagnosis provided by a licensed health care provider. Good luck to you!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vision and Eye Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.