Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

twins: if one is bi-polar, are both?

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
Hi all,

One of my friends has a twin who is bi-polar. I don't know if she is bi-polar and haven't asked/dont think she is. Do you guys know anything about twins and bi-polar disorder? Question
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 1st, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
no it is not necessary even in identical twins.
maybe your gf will have a better insight to sister
hope so
|

replied August 2nd, 2011
Experienced User
It is believed to be a genetic condition. If that is true, then identical twins will both have the same genes. However, it is also believed that environmental stressors trigger bipolar disorder, which means it is possible for one identical twin to develop the condition while the other does not.
|

replied August 8th, 2011
I'm a fraternal twin and I have bipolar and he doesn't (he has depression though). He also is an alcoholic and I'm not at all.
|

replied August 8th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
hi, seems u both suffer from the same source, but since u r not identical and wouldn't matter if u were, u have two different outcomes because of many small factors but what u can do is help each other by keeping your OTHER on a path and not going too far to the side.
I wish u well; both
|

replied November 17th, 2012
My identical twin is bipolar
My identical twin is diagnosed bipolar. We have taken part in twin studies in to this illness. Regardless of whatever the studies eventually find, as an identical twin my feeling is that it is genetic and I am therefore at serious risk. I have even avoided contraceptions that have a higher 'depression' side effect because of it. However, one of the benefits of recognising mental illness is that you can take steps to protect yourself and, as yet, I've had no episodes, but I also exercise, get sleep, maintain a good diet etc. I firmly believe that people who acknowledge they are at risk of mental health problems (as we all are) are better able to take steps to protect themselves than those who think 'it'll never happen to me.'
|