Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Twinges of pain in lower abdomen

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I have had a sensation that is turning into twinges of pain for five months. The sensation was in my lower abdomen and twinges into the labia (Obviously I am a woman - 67 years old and otherwise healthy - non smoker). I have had a cat scan, colonoscopy, ultra sound, and laparoscopy. All normal other than a very small kidney stone in one kidney. I have discomfort across my lower abdomen when coughing, lifting, and when lying down and lifting my head or my legs. No lumps or sore areas. I am only guessing a hernia but my doctor(s) have not come up with a better solution. My chiropractor thinks it is a hernia but obviously he is not a part of all this diagnostic work.
Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 10th, 2009
Generally speaking, a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis is pretty sensitive for groin or pelvic hernias. A thorough laparoscopic evaluation will usually also reveal groin or abdominal wall hernias. I wonder, based upon the information that you've provided, whether or not you might have strained the muscles and connective tissues of your lower abdomen and groin (?).

While a specific cause for your symptosm has not been found, at least your extensive work-up has eliminated a number of potentially serious health problems. Perhaps a trial of anti-inflammatory medications and physical therapy may be of help to you (you might discuss this with your physician).

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

http://doctorwascher.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.