Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

Twinge & Dull Ache under left breast

Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
I've recently been experiencing a pain under my left breast that I would describe as a
Twinge or dull ache that comes in waves, lasts a few seconds, goes for a few seconds and then comes
back again...it's like it goes tight & then releases and then goes tight again...... It feels like it is directly under my left breast and is almost like a pulsating twinge. It is very hard to describe. I did experience a similar pain many years ago & the docter kept telling me it was heartburn and gave me gaviscon, a few weeks later a very loud dripping noise came and the docter then believed it wasn't heartburn and sent me for an ECG where a heart murmur was detected. I do have alot of heart related issues in my family but I am only 27 myself & of normal weight. The Docters said it was only a very mild heart murmur & no further treatment would be needed. I don't know if this pain is in anyway related to my heart but I do worry about what this pain could be as I've read so many different explanations.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied January 18th, 2012
There is a syndrome of sharp fairly severe pain that occurs in the left chest, under the left breast in women, that is recurrent for a while and then will disappear for long periods of time. I collected a series of patients with this discomfort, and named it "the precordial catch." I describe it in some detail on page 44 in my book "Chest Pain, When and When Not to Worry". The discomfort you describe has some of the characteristics of this pain. It is a benign condition, tends to occur in thin persons, does not relate to heart disease of any kind and has nothing to do with heartburn. However, we do not know its exact origin.
I cannot comment on your heart murmur, but do want to point out that a heart murmur cannot be diagnosed on an electrocardiogram. Sometimes an echocardiogram can help establish the origin and significance of a heart murmur.
Please be advised that I am unable to diagnose medical conditions online.

An easy-to-read book about the heart for lay persons. Available at major online book retailers and other fine bookstores.
|

User Profile
replied January 18th, 2012
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Since the EKG, has been done and your doctor has concluded that your cardiac parameters are within normal limits, there may no reason to worry about cardiac issues.

The pain could be due to musculoskeletal issues or due to breast lesions (benign tumors like fibroadenoma, abscess, fat necrosis, etc).

In case the pain increases with direct pressure on the chest wall, it may indicate a musculoskeletal issue. A chest X ray might rule out any bone lesions. A breast ultrasound may be used to diagnose any breast lesions.

You may consult with your doctor or your OB-GYN, for proper diagnosis and advice.

|

replied May 5th, 2013
Chest/breast pain inside lower left breast
I'm also experiencing the same thing for a few months now its not a sharp pain more of an ache like she had said. Im 27 just had tein girls 3 month ago and no longer breastfeeding. Often nights I wake up and it is hurting and periodically throughout the day. I have an appt with my doctor but am really nervous.
|

replied July 25th, 2013
Gnawing pain under left breast
I am having the same symptoms, a gnawing pain under my left breast that becomes sharp off and on. I am 38, healthy and have no cardiac history, nor does my family. II don't want to panic since the pain has been going on for aproximately 5 days but I can not help but to worry.
|

replied July 27th, 2013
Dull ache free after sitting up after eating/avoiding citrus
I had been experiencing the dull ache under left breast area for quite some time but never had it checked out until recently. When I went to my ob/gyn for annual exam, she said it sounded like reflux & asked if I laid down in bed after eating. I never realized it until then that I do go off to my bedroom after eating/cleaning up to watch tv on my bed in sort of a slouchy/not fully upright position. So that night, I stayed upright & ever since I have not experienced that dull ache under my left breast area. I have also been avoiding acidic/citrus fruits as a precaution. I also went to my internist who did an EKG just in case & that was normal. She gave me a prescription for something to take if the feeling came back again but (cross my fingers) it hasn't yet & it has been several weeks now dull ache free! Smile
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.