Medical Questions > Cancer > Bone Cancer Forum

Tumor on Iliac bone

I have had pain in my right hip since Oct 2010, getting progressively worse. Thought at first I might need a hip replacement. However doctors visits and x-rays gave a diagnoses of arthritis, Pain kept getting worse, and doctor finally ordered an MRI last week. That showed a tumor in my iliac bone. Full body CAT Scan and Nuclear Scan (PET, I think) scheduled for tomorrow. Then an appointment with Orthopedic Oncologist on Friday. What questions should I be asking on Friday?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 2nd, 2011
Especially eHealthy
jack,

Often with orthopedic tumors, the type can be determined from patient and tumor characteristics (age, gender, location, what bone, etc), the x-ray appearance, and with ancillary studies (CT scan, MRI, lab tests, etc). Chest x-ray, chest CT, and bone scans are usually done to determine if the tumor has metastasized. For the determination of the exact cell type, a biopsy has to be done.

So, ask the oncologist what tumor does he/she thinks it is. Is it malignant? Has it metastasized? What are the treatment options? What are the risks and benefits of each treatment option? What would happen if treatment was not selected? How soon does treatment have to start?

Of course, ask any questions you might have. Be sure you understand what he/she is telling you. You might want to have someone with you. As, at times like this we often get overwhelmed.

Good luck.
|

replied June 2nd, 2011
Thanks. MRI report showed a tumor 9cm by 3 cm. Full Boyd Bone Scan, unfortunatly, appears to show multiple sites around the body. Don't have a radiologist report on the bone scan, so will have to wait until our consultation tomorrow morning.
|