Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Tuberculosis Forum

Tuberculosis Question

User Profile
Hi,

I was diagnosed with lymph node tuberculosis in 2013. I completed 2+5 month medication regime, the first two months with 4 and the next 5 months with 3 different type of drugs. Doctor told me that it will take some months or even a year to reduce the swelling and healing of the scar(caused due to the discharge of pus). The swelling was reduced in one year but it was never normal as I could still feel the lump. The opening the lymph also closed with in a year. I was not completely happy but slowly I was ok.

In January 2017, I moved to another country for my work. Unfortunately, I had recurrence of TB. It was the same lymph node and another one at the same side of the neck. I again went through the same 4 types of medication(2+5 months). Culture shows there is no bacterial growth. Now, I stopped my medication in July but I still feel terrible. The discharge(pus) is coming out after a month of stopping medication. Is this thing common? How long this pus will keep coming out?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 15th, 2017
Tuberculosis Answer A61964
Welcome to e health forum.

It is unfortunate that you have had a reactivation of tubercular lymphadenitis.

Secondary tuberculosis is usually due to the reactivation of old lesions or gradual progression of primary tuberculosis into chronic form, mainly due to transmission of the bacteria via blood.

The management of this condition is to repeat anti-tubercular regimen.

In addition testing for possible resistance of the tuberculi bacilli to the antibiotics need to be assessed so that the regimen can be helpful to eradicate the infection, and avoid recurrance in future.

It would be best to consult with your doctor for a proper opinion.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Tuberculosis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.