Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Tuberculosis Forum

Tuberculosis carrier having children ?

User Profile
My boyfriend is a carrier of tuberculosis. He has never been affected by it, may never be affected by it, and can't give it to anyone. We had a discussion about what would happen if we decided to have kids some day down the road, and he mentioned that he is not sure how his carrying TB would affect his prospective children's health. Would they inevitably get TB, or just be carriers? Or would that not affect them at all?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 19th, 2009
Experienced User
Thats a good question because I am also a carrier of TB. I got it when I was a toddler, it got pretty bad but I pulled thru. I was left with scarred lungs and always testing positive with TB. I might be expecting right now...wont be sure till later but Im starting to wonder now that if it will be a problem or not...can i pass it on to my child?
|

replied March 1st, 2009
I learned I had TB on the prenatal exam for my second child and likely contracted it during my pregnancy. My child, now 20, has had some unexplained problems with lymph nodes, is "allergic" to the TB test--I think it is positive--but they say the chest xray is okay. Anyway, he has epilepsy and scoliosis and a heart problem. I'm not saying its related, but don't know if it isn't because I'm not a doctor. I don't know if you can take the meds while you are pregnant, but had they been offered to me and I could safely take them, I would have. I hope my son can be treated someday since we have three positive family members.

I think if it was a problem with my son it was because I was sick with active TB disease when I was pregnant (and didn't know it). By the time they tested me, it was latent so I wasn't a candidate for treatment.

I did finally get treated because I need to go on steroids, so you never know what life holds. I just wish I would have gotten it out of the way when I was younger.
|

replied October 18th, 2010
My chances of passing down my diease should i have a child.
what if you have it but its mild, does that increase the chances of the child getting the diease?

mine arent that bad now and i'm scared that if i have a kid that it'll get my diease worse. i just want to know if i will be able to have a child evenully.

i'll take the best answer
|

replied October 18th, 2010
what if you have it but its mild, does that increase the chances of the child getting the diease?

mine arent that bad now and i'm scared that if i have a kid that it'll get my diease worse. i just want to know if i will be able to have a child evenully.

i'll take the best answer
|

replied March 10th, 2011
Inactive TB and procreation
Okay, this might have come a little late, but I figured I would post a response anyway.

My husband is a carrier of TB. He likely got it while he was working in a prison as their psychologist. He always tests positive on TB skin tests, but has never had symptoms of tuberculosis. My understanding is that he contracted TB, but his immune system prevented the bacteria from growing. His is referred to as latent, or non-contagious, TB.

When I became pregnant with our son in 2009, we asked my OB about my husband's latent TB. She was unconcerned, as 1) he is non-contagious, and 2) the bacteria is present in his body, but is not part of his genetic makeup. She said that TB could not be transmitted genetically.

Our son was born in late 2009 and he is perfectly fine. He has never had any medical problems, other than seasonal allergies that run rampant through my side of the family (seems that we all carry a gene that doesn't like pollen).

All in all, your boyfriend's inactive TB should not be an issue when it comes to having children. Hope this helps.
|