Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

trouble with blurred vision and every time I eat I sweat !

Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
I have had Type 2 Diabetic now since January 2010.I'm on just 1 metformin tablet a day.I have seen our practice Nurse every 6 months and she doesn't believe in self testing.I have trouble with blurred vision and every time I eat I sweat really badly.I have both Peripheral and Autonomic Neuropathy which is causing me a lot of pain24/7 in both feet.Lately my urine has been very cloudy and very strong smelling,I've mentioned it and was just told to drink more water,I already have about 6 to 8 glasses a day.She(the practice Nurse) says theres still no need to self test,but when I have!! my BG has been 7.5 up to 14.5.I really am getting at my wits end what to do.Sat here now and am dripping wet!!Do I test?I was signed off from Diabetic Clinic and Neuro Clinic because each blamed the other for the Neuropathy.I also have Adhesive Arachnoiditis from the Myodil Oil Based Dye.Sorry to rant a bit but just can't find the answers from the Nurse.I hope someone who has had similar problems with their GPs etc can give me advice as to what they did.Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile MyrahU
|

User Profile
replied October 13th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
She doesn't believe in self testing?! I think it's time to get a second opinion, preferably from an endocrinologist who specializes in diabetes. Enough with the nurse. In my opinion, she's going to kill you or substantially shorten your life.

You said your blood glucose was 7.5 up to 14.5? What kind of meter are you using? Are you sure it's not an A1C tester? Regular blood glucose testers give you results in whole numbers. High two digits or low three digits is normal (like 80 to 120 or so). Since you are sweating when you eat, it sounds like your blood glucose could be going really high. This could be because of what you are eating (too many carbs and/or too many of the wrong carbs--ie. sugar, white bread, potatoes) or it could be that you need insulin.

The pain in your feet could get better if your diabetes were better managed DAY TO DAY. The cloudy urine is also a symptom of poorly managed diabetes.

You need a DOCTOR who knows how to manage diabetes and can educate you on how to manage yours day to day, with diet, exercise, and medication. With proper education on how to test, when to test, what to eat, how to count carbs, you can turn this around. If you haven't seen a nutritionist, you should, they are so so helpful with managing your diet.

You should also have a diabetic eye exam ASAP because of this blurred vision. I wouldn't wait on that either.

I really hope this helps you and that you get the help you need. If I were you, I would also consider writing a letter to whatever doctor manages this nurse practitioner you've been seeing and tell him or her what has been going on and how poorly you've been managed. I would also never darken that office door again, if I were you.

Best of luck. Smile
|
Users who thank MyrahU for this post: mumroo 

replied October 15th, 2011
Hi and thanks for your reply.My BG meter is just the basic Contour.I've tested yesterday and today and more or less am between 7.5 and today 9.3.Apparently I have Nitrates in my Urine so the Nurse has sent the sample off for testing but told me it was probably nothing!We're moving in the next 6 months so I'm going to carefully choose a new GP practice and hopefully get the help I need.I'm on a Low Carb diet that seems to suit me I've lost 2 stone in the last 4 months!My optician has told me I have cataracts in both eyes but they're not causing too much of a problem yet.He also said he isn't going to change my glasses at the moment because the blurred vision should settle down when my BG settles down!Thanks again I'm taking on board all you said.Take care.
|

User Profile
replied October 15th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
Maybe the testers measure differently in Britain (where I'm guessing you are, since you measure you weight in stone?).

When you say "low-carb" do you mean like Atkins or carb restricted? If you are on an Atkins like-plan, that could explain the nitrates in your urine.

While I think it's great that you've been able to lose weight with the low-carb diet, I would strongly advise that you see a nutritionist or dietitian to plan out a long-term eating and exercise plan that you can live with for the rest of your life to keep the weight off. Too many people on low-carb diets put all the weight back on and then some as soon as they start eating "normally" again.

Best of luck finding a new doctor in your new town. I hope everything works out well for you.
|