Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Forum

Trouble breathing during sleep

Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....
Hi there
My 3yr old son has been put on a waiting list to have his tonsils and adenoids out, and grommets in - all at the same time. In the meantime, I'm a little concerned about his breathing while he sleeps, I'm told it's called sleep apnoea and is not fatal. He just stops breathing about once every couple of minutes for about ten seconds and it's like his airway is blocked because he gasps afterwards. He also has so much mucus/discharge going down the back of his nose that this evening I saw him choking on it and had to sit him up and lean him forward to relieve him while he stayed asleep. Should I go to my GP and speak to them about fast-tracking his appointment to see the ENT surgeons or just wait it out until his operation? It does worry me but if I find out that this is normal and a child's body can deal with this happening without a helping hand from Mum, then I will feel more at ease about it.
Many thanks for your time.
Beth
Did you find this post helpful?
|