Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Inflammatory and Abnormal Cell Disorders Forum

Trochleitis

Must Read
Diverticulitis can affect any area of the digestive tract. Learn more about basic digestive system anatomy as we define what is diverticulitis here....
Do doctors know what causes internal inflammation of the digestive system? Are you at risk of developing diverticulitis? Learn more now....
Learn the characteristic signs of diverticulitis, and its possible complications here. Plus, more on when to seek help for diverticulitis in this section....
User Profile
I need to know if there is anything that could prevent or stop my eye bag from swelling that makes almost half of my face swell too (and numb for a while). Migraine is quite manageable but the eye inflammation prevents me from working. I want to know if it is TROCHLEITIS, I just have to know what this is to determine its cure...my neurologist told me this is quite uncommon. Eye bag swelling happens almost every month, before I have my monthly period, it never occurs without the migraine.

I wish I could attach the photos I have taken, which, when I have shown to my dr, he immediately said it could be cluster headache...but then, the symptoms were quite different.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 4th, 2008
Inflammatory and Abnormal Cell Disorders Answer A4368
Trochleitis is inflammation of the superior oblique tendon trochlea apparatus characterized by localized swelling, tenderness, and severe pain. This condition is an uncommon but treatable cause of periorbital pain. The trochlea is a ring-like apparatus of cartilage through which passes the tendon of the superior oblique muscle. It is located in the superior nasal orbit and functions as a pulley for the superior oblique muscle.

Inflammation of the trochlear region leads to a painful syndrome with swelling and exquisite point tenderness in the upper medial rim of the orbit. A vicious cycle may ensue such that inflammation causes swelling and fraying of the tendon which then increases the friction of passing through the trochlea which in turn adds to the inflammation. Trochleitis has also been associated with triggering or worsening of migraine attacks in patients with pre-existing migraines.

Trochleitis is diagnosed according to these 3 criteria:
1. demonstration of inflammation of superior oblique tendon/ trochlea region;
2. periorbital pain and tenderness to palpation in the area of the sore trochlea, and
3. Worsening of pain on attempted vertical eye movement, particularly with adduction of the eye.

You should consult an ophthalmologist to check if you are fulfilling all those 3 criteria.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Inflammatory and Abnormal Cell Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.