Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gland Disorders Forum

Treatment for hyperthyroidism ?

Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....
My name is Jessica and I'm 16. I was just diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and I was told that I have three options as far as treatment goes. 1. Take antithyroid pills and beta blockers. 2. Take radioiodine pills and thyroid pills. 3.Have surgery and take thyroid pills. I know that I definately don't want to have surgery unless it is absolutely necessary, but I can't seem to get a straight answer on which of the other two options are better. If there is anyone who has gone through this same ordeal and has some input, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 30th, 2010
hi Jessica, Im not a doctor so dont quote me, but i do have an overactive thyroid.I am in the same situation and as I understand it the pros and cons are a) anti thyroid meds and betablockers. Carbimazole doesnt always work and has a rare but very serious side effect in that it can suppress the immune system.I think because of this it isnt good to be on it long term especially if your blood results dont improve. Beta blockers help symptoms but dont treat disease.b) Radioactive iodine and thyroxine, iodine is processed by your thyroid, so the radiation destroys some or all of your thyroid gland. Im not sure how specific it can be, some may be destroyed but remaining part continue to be overactive, if it destroys it completely you will be hypothyroid and need thyroxine replacement. c) Surgery. Thyroid gland removed therefore definately will be underactive and you will need thyroxine for ever. I hope that antithyroid meds work for you as you are so young. Also it may resolve on its own, mine was overactive 6 years ago i was waiting for radioactive iodine when it went back to normal. It,s flared up again recently so prob will have iodine treatment, however i am a lot older than you. I hope this helps, good luck x
|
Did you find this post helpful?