Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sinusitis Forum

Treating sinusitis

Must Read
Do you have a cold or a sinus infection? Learn the difference plus more info on different types of sinus infections (sinusitis) here....
What can cause a short-term or long-term case of sinus infection? We review both. Learn how to avoid the risk of developing an infection in this section....
What are the first signs that you have trouble with your sinuses? Learn to identify a sinus infection early ... plus know when you should seek medical help....
User Profile
Are there any dangerous over-the-counter sinus remedies available? If so, how can we know them?

I have come across a web-page which says that some OTC sinus remedies and some home remedies may actually be hazardous to sinus health. It is a long piece of writing to summarize here. You can read it at http://www.howtogetridofsinusitis.com/dang erous%20sinusitis%20treatments

They detail the home remedies but they do not give specific brands or other names of those OTC products they call dangerous. I was a bit puzzled with this news. Is it really possible that there are OTC sinus remedies which actually worsen sinus problems? I would not think that such products would be permitted. But, the page writes that it is so. Therefore, I wanted to ask you to learn the truth from a health professional. This information may be very important for sinusitis sufferers as I know that many of them are trying those products.

Sincerely,

H. Alp

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 9th, 2009
Treating sinusitis

The substances mentioned in the home remedies (hydrogen peroxide, lemon juice, vinegar or capsacin) on the web page you reported can easily damage the nasal mucosa if the vapors are inhaled often. As for the over-the-counter products used for treating sinusitis, you might want to see if it is FDA approved in USA or approved by a parallel reference organization in another country. This would give the product a lot of credit, since the approvals are given based on scientific researches and studies.

If you are allergic to certain of the ingredients, you should avoid using them, because many of the over-the-counter products use various herbs as ingredients.

In the end, you might want to consult a professional healthcare provider about any specific over-the-counter product. You do not have to visit a doctor always. A pharmacist can help you a lot about the ingredients and the side-effects of a specific over-the-counter product.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sinusitis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.