Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sinusitis Forum

Treating chronic sinusitis (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you have a cold or a sinus infection? Learn the difference plus more info on different types of sinus infections (sinusitis) here....
What can cause a short-term or long-term case of sinus infection? We review both. Learn how to avoid the risk of developing an infection in this section....
What are the first signs that you have trouble with your sinuses? Learn to identify a sinus infection early ... plus know when you should seek medical help....
Hi. I have had chronic sinusitis for several years but only got a diagnosis last year. I had a ct scan and they discovered chronic sinusitis caused by a thickening of the lining of my sinuses. Since then i've tried everything from nasal irrigation to serrapeptase to nasal sprays and nothing seems to work. I am now back on the waiting list for FESS but i'd like something to relieve the symptoms until i have the surgery. I have tried several nasal sprays and none of them work, in fact they make it worse. Recently i tried budesonide and it made the symptoms 10 times worse. I'm at a complete loss as to why it get worse which is why i'm posting on here. I'm also concerned that i'll have the surgery and things won't improve.

Along with the sinusitis i suffer with severe fatigue (don't think it's cfs) which seems to get worse as the sinusitis does. Is this a known symptom? If so should i expect to see an improvement once i have the surgery? As for relief i've read some mixed things on here about sinus buster. Is there anything else i can try or is sinus buster relatively safe to use? As i say nothing i've tried works.

Ironically i quit smoking in '05 and had a rhinoplasty for a deviated septum. That's when it started to get worse. The main overriding symptom is chronic tension right between my eyes and it's so bad it affects my eyesight. I dearly need some relief as it's making my life utterly miserable. I read a comment by another saying they were 25 but it felt more like they are 100; that's exactly how i feel. Anyway if you'd like more info on what i've tried previously please ask. Cheers

TJ
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper rlzzxx
|

replied June 16th, 2009
A question regarding sinus buster; will it relieve the pressure of the sinusitis? If it does i will try it. From what i've read it's not to be taken all the time but if i can use it occasionally for some respite that will be great!
|

replied June 22nd, 2009
Hi, I too have had many years of sinus trouble and it does cause fatigue as well as mild depression from my experience. I have constant pressure and swelling of nasal passages as well as eyes having mucus, it's like having a headcold all the time.
Several years ago I saw an ENT who did a tissue culture.The culture showed Streptococcus Aureus and I was put on an antibiotic program which didn't help. I then found out about Sinuneb and tried that to no avail. I went to over a dozen docs and acupunturists with no help.
Trying whatever I could, I went on a 5 day juice fast with enemas. The results were amazing. Not only did the sinuses open and clear so that I could breath in total comfort, I had much more energy, clearer cognition and exhilaration. After the fast, I ate a very "clean diet" but the sinusitis gradually returned. I thought I must have food allergies but testing showed nothing. I tried elimination diets, fasting for a day or two which gave sinus relief but each and every food I tried to eat would bring back the inflammation. Nasal steroids helped little, there was still the constant, what I call sinus pressure headache. I'm currently experimenting with essential oils which help mildly and lot's of vitamins,nutraceuticals. The most relief I can get is by fasting but who wants to be continually fasting? Some have suggested it stems from my root canals. I sometimes consider surgery but read so many stories of temporary relief or worse. I keep struggling but it's worn me out. I hope you can find relief.
|
Users who thank rlzzxx for this post: deeparted 

replied June 22nd, 2009
PS I am using SinusBuster as well as peppermint, rosemary,eucalyptus and oregano oil but have not experienced anything profound.
|

replied June 22nd, 2009
Hi rizzxx. Thanks for your reply. It's somewhat reassuring that someone else has experienced similar symptoms to me as i have been unable to pinpoint the causes of the fatigue but have always felt that it was connected. I am also concerned about surgery and was supposed to have it earlier this year but i wanted to try the alternatives first in the hopes that i could avoid it. I'm now at the stage where i just want to get it over and done with then maybe i can get on with my life.

The sinus buster seems to offer mild relief which is saying something , believe me. But it is only mild. The company that i bought it from sent me a special offers supplement and on the cover was a product called saltpipe and as i've had breathing problems as well i looked further into it. It's supposed to offer a host of benefits and could be beneficial for sinusutis and respiratory disorders such as asthma. As i said i quit smoking back in '05 and my breathing hasn'treally improved since then so perhaps the saltpipe will get rid of anything that's leftover. Someting is definitely affecting my breathing.

Plus the air quality where i live is the second worst in the country which is my main motivation for getting it. Anything it helps with will be a bonus but i think it will help with the fatigue at the very least. You can also use it with aromatherapy oils and it will last about 5 years so worth a try. I suppose it will be for my lungs what nasal irrigation is for my sinuses! I'm not expecting it to cure the sinusitis or anything like but if it can improve my overall health and well being then great! I will post on here if and what benefits i gain from it. Perhaps it can help with some of your symptoms. I was planning to get some oils to use with the saltpipe so i'll check out the ones you mentioned. I have found eucalyptus to help with steam inhalation but again it's only mild and temporary relief.

Btw what does 'eyes having mucus mean'? Sounds gross! I don't have any symptoms apart from chronic tension but that in itself is enough. Wish someone could tell me why it gets worse but noone can give me a clear answer.

TJ
|

replied July 3rd, 2009
I use pulsate irrigation with various additives and a nebulizer with various essential oils. Nothing makes a significant difference but, as you say, any little improvement is welcome.
Do you have any eye symtoms like itching, mucus?
I sometimes consider the surgery but am still exploring wholistic treatments. Presently, I'm trying a raw food diet along with supplements...extreme but, I'll give it
a shot.
Good luck.
|

replied July 3rd, 2009
rlzzxx wrote:
I use pulsate irrigation with various additives and a nebulizer with various essential oils. Nothing makes a significant difference but, as you say, any little improvement is welcome.
Do you have any eye symtoms like itching, mucus?
I sometimes consider the surgery but am still exploring wholistic treatments. Presently, I'm trying a raw food diet along with supplements...extreme but, I'll give it
a shot.
Good luck.

Thanks. Anything that anyone else is trying is great cause it gives me something else to look into. The pulse irrigation system looks interesting, i will check that out. It amazes me how narrow western medicine can be when there are a whole range of other things you can try to help treat or alleviate the symptoms.

No eye symptoms apart from a feeling of fullness and chronic tension between the eyes which affects my peripheral vision. It's like my heads stuffed full of cotton wool. These are the aspects i'm talking about when i say it gets worse. Wish i knew what the triggers were but i've had it a long time so it could just be the nature of it. I have an appointment to see a consultant in 3 weeks and i'm going to ask them if they can identify or clarify the causes for me and whether surgery would be beneficial. I hope so!

As for the saltpipe it has no effect on the sinusitis but has helped with my breathing which was it's primary purpose. Also seems to help with the fatigue after using it fora few minutes.

Anyway if i decide to go ahead and have the surgery i will post the results in here. Best

tj
|

replied July 3rd, 2009
Is it the Grossan Hydro Pulse System your using? Have you noticed any benefit at all? Cheers.
|

replied July 3rd, 2009
I look forward to hearing of your experiences.
Our situations do seem quite different. As i said, for me, it is like having a head cold 7/24. Eyes often itchy, sticky with mucus, nasal drainage, sneezing. The tension you mention I can only say for me is a "pressure" in the maxillary sinus (CT does show thickening as yours). I would liken it to my head being full of cement (denser than cotton wool). Vision seems affected as well, bit blurred, changes from better to worse.
I'd be curious to know if they do a smear for you and find any bacteria/fungus infection. Have you read about sinuplasty? New treatment...tiny balloon to open sinus paths.

Best, RL
|

replied July 3rd, 2009
Yes, it's the Grossan hydro pulse. I use it several times a day with various concotions, essential oils, pepper tincture! Helps... a little for the nose when there is dry mucus but, not for the sinus and I've been using it so long, getting tired of it. Need a CURE not a bandaid.
|

replied July 9th, 2009
Wow, am I ever fed up.. How depressing reading this from you guys.. I feel better that I am not alone, but I already knew that too..
Yes I have sinusitis too. I have had the operation and many warnings that the infection does come back and yup! It did come back! I had 7 months of no sinus symptoms then BAM! It hit me like it never went away!

Been on a million courses of antibiotics before that.. All of course didnt work, looked up natural ways and found irrigation.. which I was doing before the operation also.. I still do that with a bit of relief with that and now on nasonex but find it hard to remember to take it... I read an article about malaluka Honey and started even trying that. It apparently has natural antibiotics in it that may take care of it, where the antibiotics from the doc we have become ammuned to.. I will see how well that works.
I want a cure so bad. The pain is there every day.. Isolated to one area, feels like a tooth ache on the left side just like before the operation.. Along the jaw line and the top of my nose passage. I sleep on the side of my nose where no air can get in and just breath through the one nostril cause it actually helps.. Oddly enough, but its probably cause breathing in can feel cool if not blocked off.
I wish all of you the best as I wish mine would go away too. Sad
Dont get your hopes up high about the operation.. It also aint fun sleeping with your nose stuffed with cotton for 5 days. Sad
|

replied July 9th, 2009
Thank you for sharing your experience, Brigetta. I've read about some folks having the surgery and being cured but also many, like you, who had their problem come back.
I read about the honey. Let us know if it has any effect.
Your situation is quite different if I understand that you prefer NOT getting air through one nasal passage. I am trying to get as much air as I can through both passages, one side or the other is usually more swollen thus preventing easy breathing.
|

replied July 9th, 2009
chronic sinus infection
I am reading all these posts and getting worried...I've had a sinus infection for four months now. It comes and goes but I'm always tired and when it's bad it gets so bad that I'm dizzy and can't walk. I've become almost an addict to Tylenol Sinus which works well at taking away the pain but makes me a little jittery. I'm starting to get depressed because I'm so tired all the time I have no energy to go to the gym or keep up with the activities I used to do!

I was on antibiotics for over a month they helped only a bit when things get bad but after reading posts I just gave up on them. I probably would get better after a week anyway.

I'd love to find a cure! The strange, and possibly unique thing about my infection is that a lot of people had a cold in the city I live and all of them seemed to have sinus problems like mine. I caught the cold too at first but then the sinus infection never went away for me..but everyone else seemed to recover after antibiotics.

Nothing seems to help but I can't seem to live without the Tylenol now - the pain in my eyes is really bad....I also have a bit of yellow mucous in one of my eyes.

Any ideas about how i can avoid taking all the tylenol and get my energy up would be great!
|

replied July 9th, 2009
I can say with confidence that the saltpipe has really helped with the fatigue so look into it. Salt therapy is well established as an effective natural treatment for respiratory conditions.

You can use them nasally as well for sinusutis so perhaps it could help with the symptoms that you have. It cost me £30 and has a 5 year lifespan. I've spent more than that per month on treatments that don't work or wear off after a while so for me it was worth the risk.

I'm not expecting anything to cure the sinusitis as i've had it for so long. Half the battle has been finding something to relieve the symptoms as there are no guarantees with the surgery and my qol has been seriously impeded by the sinusitis.

I think a saltpipe is worth getting for general health and well being. Already my throats cleared up, my breathing has improved and my head feels a little less foggy! Smile
|

replied July 11th, 2009
rlzzxx wrote:
I look forward to hearing of your experiences.
Our situations do seem quite different. As i said, for me, it is like having a head cold 7/24. Eyes often itchy, sticky with mucus, nasal drainage, sneezing. The tension you mention I can only say for me is a "pressure" in the maxillary sinus (CT does show thickening as yours). I would liken it to my head being full of cement (denser than cotton wool). Vision seems affected as well, bit blurred, changes from better to worse.
I'd be curious to know if they do a smear for you and find any bacteria/fungus infection. Have you read about sinuplasty? New treatment...tiny balloon to open sinus paths.

Best, RL

Actually cement is a good description. It is somewhat like having a head full of cement and i will use that to describe it from now on for maximun impact. thumbsup

It's incredible how overwhelming it can be, i never knew sinusitis could get so bad. Now i just want the surgery asap but i really need to know what the underlying cause is/was. I'm amazed that docs haven't taken more measures to find out what's causing it. Seems like there's a good chance it is fungal or perhaps a environmental as i don't have any other synptoms apart from the sinus headache but either way i need to know whether surgery is going stand a good chance of working.

Anyway i'm going to look into the balloon sinuplasty. I'd probably be good candidate for it. Best

TJ
|

replied July 11th, 2009
Yeah sinusitis is hell!!! I've had to experience it most days for the last cupla years... Tried everything from nasal salt rinses, nsaids for relief, neti-pots,removing dairy from diet,removing bread & gluten,forcing myself to be active, resting more and about a thousand other things. One good thing I guess is that I never took more than one course of antibiotics. Anyway, what I experience is constant !**@! head pressure, sneezing, itchy eyes, fatigue, knee ligaments aching,depression and detachment from reality based on my weird malise feeling. I've been taking aleve-d sinus & allergy and this actually made me feel better suprisingly enough although it is only treating the symptoms and when the pills run out the comes back. Maybe I should just live on these pills, if I don't get something sorted I probably will. Other stuff I tried and stil do with slightly healing qualities are 3-6000mg of vitamin c a day, eating crushed garlic and avoiding any type of sugar as much as possible,

peace
|

replied July 12th, 2009
Hey there,
I wish I could come back and say " holy crap, the honey worked. " but I suspect it still is a litle too soon. I know antibiotics take a few days to work so I would suspect that is the same and
maybe longer with something natural.
Since my last post I managed to get rid of the green stuff so now is a good idea not to give up. Just the pain is there always but can go away with sudafed. As I type this I feel no pain. Seems weird for it's always a part of me.
I am having a problem taking the honey like a antibiotic for it is new and I forget so it's been only once a day. I got to fix that and maybe put a timer on my phone or something to keep it at 3 times a day. At least then I know I would have given it a good try. Not to much to report back with but will post again and let ya all know if it's worth it. Keep irrigating. Smile
|

replied July 12th, 2009
Have you looked into Ayurvedic medicine? That's where the neti pot originates i believe. Echinacea and golden seal are supposed to be really effective. Oil of oregano too. Ther is an ayurvedic sinus oil that i tried before but it didn't do anything for my symptoms. It goes quite in depth into the treatment of sinusitis.
|

replied July 13th, 2009
I haven't tried essential oils. I guess I should. Why the heck not considering I pretty much tried everything else. I will take a look at that. Smile
|

replied July 13th, 2009
Hey Brigetta is it Manuka honey that your taking? You had any success with it? I've read some mixed reports about it.
|