Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Alternative Medicine Forum

Traditional Chinese medicine

I was wondering how effective is traditional Chinese medicine compared to regular medicine. I mean it seems that most, if not all, of it is "dietary supplements only" ..but does it have a real effect? Does anybody have real experience using any of this medications?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 22nd, 2008
Chinese medicine takes a different approach and looks at your lifestyle and overall health, not just at the specific symptoms.

If you have chronic problems they might be able to find alternative or contributing causes of whatever illness you may have that a western doctor won't. Most chinese medicine is herbal but it is still medicine and the effects of the herbs are still medical meaning that if you take it lightly or goto a unskilled practitioner you may find yourself in a lot of trouble.

also chinese medicine believes in regulating the body to defeat the illness, it may not fix the problem instantly and patience sometimes is required.
|

replied June 15th, 2011
Acupuncture has been proven to have a direct effect on the nervous system, including the brain, to strengthen the immune system, to affect internal organs, ability to increase peristalsis for instance, and to speed the repair of soft tissue damage. There are thousands of articles on pub med alone that document these things.
|

replied January 21st, 2012
ComputerPsi - The only way to know anything in life, is to experience it yourself. The rest of the "knowledge" is just believing. Where you ever in love? Before-hand, You might have believed love exists, but you didn't have any true knowledge of its existence.
The honest way - The way of the one who is really looking to understand things (anything), is to dwell in it -

Chinese med doesn't work. It is being being "tubed" by the therapists, and much like the pot doesn't cook the food, its the chef who does the work, so do the healing properties of this ancient medicine.
Much like the food being cooked is following a rule of nature - Heat meets some elements and cooking is done, so does in Chinese medicine. A good "chef" in c.m is able to help the "ingredients" (the human body) to interact with the rules of the universe.

You want to know if Chinese Med. works?
you can either:
A. Get treatment - Find a good therapist, and stick to him or her for a while (not a couple of weeks. a period for fair trial).
B. Become a therapist yourself.

Good luck in meeting the truth
|

replied January 21st, 2012
I used Chinese herbs to strengthen my immune system and it worked like a charm. I live in New York City where there is a VERY strong Chinese community, so I was able to get some pretty potent herbs. You can also find lots of stuff on the internet.

Arlette
|

replied January 4th, 2013
I have been using Chinese herbs many years and can personally attest to their effectiveness. I did start seeing a professional in the beginning for my herbs though. And it does take some time to find the right herbs for your body. I started having issues with anxiety and note being able to sleep. I truly do not understand why Chinese Medicine is not practiced more in the U.S. Also note that I was taking prescription meds for my anxiety prior to discovering the Chinese herbs. Diet and exercise help a lot. But when I take my herbs I can actually FEEL them take effect. I could also FEEL the prescription meds I was on as well as the UNPLEASANT SIDE EFFECTS. Hope this helps. sunny
|

replied March 22nd, 2013
I'm really open to alternative medicine and interested in chinese medicine.
|

replied September 3rd, 2013
I'm a Chinese physician who is currently practising in Singapore. First of all, your question regarding the efficacy of TCM is rather vague. Like all medicine, be it mainstream western medicine or other forms of alternative medicine, TCM cannot cure all kinds of conditions. TCM works by first diagnosing what kind of body condition one belongs to, then should the patient have an underlying condition on symptom he wants to be treated for, his body condition and the condition/symptom must be assessed in combination in order to find the best treatment protocol, be it acupuncture and/or herbal remedies. However, although some symptoms/conditions can be cured using solely TCM, most diseases, namely autoimmune disorders etc, must still be treated using BOTH western medicine and TCM.
Hope this helps
|