Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Torn muscle or hernia ?

I went to see my Doctor today, after an injury. 2weeks ago I coughed hard, and had a sharp pain down my right side. It lasted (constantly)for 30 min, then slowly went down. If I stretched, or laid flat on my back, or pushed/touched the area, it hurt still. I figured I'd just pulled a muscle or something, so I ignored it. By the time about 2days had passed, it was all but gone. I started have gastrointestinal issues more recently though. Feeling nauseous, heart burn, both diarrhea and constipation. I also started feeling the pain again. When I saw my Dr. today I told him, and he said it was just a torn muscle. He pushed in the muscles in my abdomen, to see if they hurt when he pushed, but it was mostly the upper right side he tried out, and my pain was more in the lower right side. Starting about at my belly button (right side of it). That's where it hurts most of the time. He said it wasn't a hernia because it didn't hurt when he pushed on the area. If it is just a torn muscle, why has my stomach been so upset?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Shelly2
|

User Profile
replied April 18th, 2011
Hello and thank you for your post on e health forum.

From the description of the history and that of the doctors examination findings it does seem that you indeed could be having a musculoskeletal pain.

In Absence of any discomfort or mass protruding at the site of the pain - on COUGHING, this rules out the presence of a hernia.

Using a heat pack, a abdominal binder and ibuprofen might help you with the muscle related pain.

I hope this helps.

|

replied February 27th, 2013
RE: Torn muscle or hernia ?
Did you ever figure this out? I've had something similar for the last 3-4 years and no answers forthcoming.

And, I believe, it all started after I went for a jog/run around the block.

It is just to the right of my belly button as well. If I probe the area with my fingers, I can feel grooves or ridges in the tissue under the outer fatty/skin layer. These grooves or ridges are a few inches in "length". I don't feel those grooves anywhere else in that area, nor on the left side, or top or bottom.

That area of my belly is also visibly swollen when compared to the rest of my stomach. Standing sideways, the difference between that side and the left side of the belly button is visible. Others can see it looking straight on.

I don't see any bruising. Nor is it really tender or painful.

Like you, my biggest symptoms have been related to my gut - nausea, heartburn, bloating. And over the years, erectile and urinary issues that I believe are related to it.

I'm at a loss and apparently so are the doctors I've been to.
|

User Profile
replied March 28th, 2013
doing crunches- pulled muscle-healing time anyone?
I was doing crunches on one of those balls, they have in the gym. A trainer showed me (3) kinds of crunches, as I have a 4 level cervical anterior fusion, and I cannot do anything that pulls on my neck. My neck is fine, and the crunches are killer. They really isolate the whole "ab".

On and off this one day, I did about 120. The next day, the left lower side of my abdominal muscles hurt so bad, I had to roll to my right side to get out of bed. I think I just really pulled a muscle real good, but am wondering how long is it going to take for it to heal?
Obviously, I cannot do that one out of the three, crunches until it heals. I can still walk on the treadmill with no pain, and coughing is no problem.

I started putting cold packs on, after reading this thread. Thanks and let me know (if anyone knows) the healing time~
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.