Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Torn labrum recovery ? (Page 1)

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
I just had surgery for a torn labrum and my Dr. has sent me to an occupational therapist instead of a physical therapist. I'm 32 and active. Shouldn't I be going to a P/T?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 8th, 2009
you should definately be going to a physical therapist. idk what the doctor thinks but thats what i think. i am going to an orthopedic tomorrow to see if i tore my labrum. can u tell me some symptoms you had?
|

replied February 6th, 2012
i had a lot of pain when i tried to move it, swelling, and i couldn't support my weight(124) i had surgery but now i think its torn again
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
mkletz13,

When you say you could not support your weight, are you speaking of a torn labrum in the hip or the shoulder? This thread is speaking of the one in the shoulder.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
I know the original post is an older one, but, just to clarify things. Occupational therapists are often trained in hand therapy and the therapy of the upper extremity as a whole. So, it is not uncommon for patients who have had any type of upper extremity surgery to be referred to an OT.

OTs also deal with the rehabilitation of stroke and burn patients, but that is not their only emphasis.

So, shoulder patients could be referred to either an OT or a PT. It is possible that the surgeon and that OT had worked together, and the OT knew exactly what the surgeon wanted for his/her post-op protocol.
|

User Profile
replied April 8th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
I also tore my labrum from 12-6:00My symtoms were very obvious. My shoulder would dislocate all the time. When I sneezed violently, when I threw anything, even if you hugged me too hard. It was bad. Once time I was at my desk eating lunch. I had my elbow propped up I sneezed and dislocated. I had to turn my entire body in order to get my arm down enough so it could slide back in. It was very obvious I had nothing keeping my bones together…lol. So I had surgery. They drilled 3 anchors into my bone to promote the cartilage to grow back. They roughened up the surface of my bones so the cartilage could grow back too. I had 6 months of PT. I now have 100% mobility back and it hasn’t dislocated. Its not the same anymore, but I can do everything I used to do.

So yes you should be seeing a PT, I would give your doc another call.
|

replied April 10th, 2009
football
is there anything u can do to rehab ur labrum untill you get surgery. because i play collgeg football and all i need to do is hold out till the summer and im coo
|

User Profile
replied April 13th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
I actually did physical therapy prior to my surgery to see if I could develop more strength. It helped a little bit but my labrum was torn too badly. But the strength I built helped me heal after faster after surgery. See if you can get some exercises online or from your doctor.
|

replied April 16th, 2009
torn labrum
i've had four surgeries for a torn labrum in my left shoulder and it just will not heal so please take your time with your rehab don't rush it.
|

replied July 23rd, 2009
ok I just had surgery for my torn labrum. I am 52 yr old female. I go to the gym 3 times a week and only lift enought weights to keep my arms tone. Around 5 lbs in each arm and for the usual bicep curls, overhead push ups etc. I tore it on an outdated machine there I am sure the seat was too low and I had to put my arms up and push down. I ended up having the surgery because the aching in my arms was too much. The MRI and orthogram did not show the tear but my ortho was positive that is what I had. So I had the surgery and see the pictures he took while fixing the labrum and it was indeed a tear. He secured it all and said it was no worse or no better than what he sees. He said he does about 250 surgeries of this sort a year. I start PT in a couple days (6 days after surgery). I could not live with this. I could not support myself if my arms were behind me. I figured I had to do this I hope I will be good in about 4 to 6 months. I sure hope so.
|

replied July 23rd, 2009
Community Volunteer
Give yourself some time...Don't expect to heal overnight..Have patience...Look at a week's progresss instead of a day's....You will do just fine...Good luck...

Caroline
|

replied July 31st, 2009
hey i recently had surgery on my labrum and i was wondering if i should expect to regain full range of motion after completing physical therapy? and if so how long will the process take?
|

replied June 9th, 2010
Hi bit late i know but how did you guys heel up ? Im a 29 year old electrician and most of my work is overhead. I just had 3 anchores for lab tear (12-5 oclock) 3 weeks ago and its very sore when out of sling ... heard a lot of negative things about surgery recovery ... is this true ??? Thanks Doug.
|

replied July 1st, 2010
had labrum repair in march 2010. a 360 degree tear! 8 anchors for tear. Doctor said has to repair it tight but know i always hear an squeeking sound in my shoulder. My mobility not where it should be and i havenot even started strenght training. Try to get ready for deployment in Aug. Does any one think i have a chance to be good to go by them.
|

replied May 15th, 2012
Squeaking shoulder
How are you doing now? Is the squeaking sound still there?
Thanks
|

replied July 1st, 2010
labrum repair recovery
had labrum repair in march 2010. a 360 degree tear! 8 anchors for tear. Doctor said has to repair it tight but know i always hear an squeeking sound in my shoulder. My mobility not where it should be and i havenot even started strenght training. Try to get ready for deployment in Aug. Does any one think i have a chance to be good to go by them.
|

replied July 1st, 2010
360 degree tear ! painfull. Im 6 weeks out now and doing ok but still sharp pains if moved the wrong way or any weight put on arm. Sleeping is the worst bit for me keep waking up in pain from moving the wrong way. Seems like a slow recovery ..... Ive heard that it can take 18 months to be pain free and back to normal .
|

replied May 13th, 2012
7 anchors
How are you doing?? Is your shoulder doing ok?
I had 360 degree tear with 7 anchors. Thanks.
|

replied July 8th, 2010
LABRUM REPAIR AND JOINT NOISE AFTERWARD
I just had surgery about two weeks ago on my right shoulder to repair a 50% tear in the posterior portion of my labrum and provide relief for a shoulder impingment problem. Like most, I am right handed. The physician put me in an immobilizer for five weeks, which I am supposed to wear at all times while awake and when trying to sleep. Constant pain kept me up at night and I could not get comfortable sleeping on my back and with the sling on. I had to roll to my left for some temporary relief. Immediately after surgery, physician had me doing arm rotations (clock and counterclockwise) while bent over, climbing the wall using my hand, and raising my right arm up with my left arm. This was done to promote flexibility. I won't actually be able to start PT for another three weeks, but I am glad the doctor is encouraging me to do the flexibility exercises, even if they are somewhat passive. I have noticed that when the shoulder joint shifts (is in motion or moves) and during my exercises, I can hear what I can best describe as either a gushing noise (like fluid moving) or rubbing sound. I just contacted the physician's office for advice. Has anyone experienced this noise problem and if so, did your doctor tell you what it might be?
|

replied July 8th, 2010
I have crackling noises when stretching to overhead positions and a tight feeling in the joint. I have to say each day its getting stronger and less painfull. I still can lift no more than 1 kg without pain tho. I noticed a great deal of pain relief arter the 4th and 5th week the first month was very painfull (heavy painkillers are great for sleeping pain away at this point). Now at week 7 I have stopped taking all painkillers and only have pain during PT at times. The more PT I do the stronger it feels tho I am having trouble keeping my shoulder in the positions it is supposed to be for the excercises ( shoulders pulled back ) it seems out of wack with my left side. Has any one got anything to say about how they went with recovery after a year or more ? Did you recover to 100%?
|

User Profile
replied July 9th, 2010
hey All -- I was in a bike accident and I fractured my ankle. I also think I tore part of my labrum.

I didn't tell my MD about the labrum yet because I have been non-weight bearing on the ankle since surgery. I think two procedures would have been too much.

I can do some range of motion with the impacted left shoulder, but would like to avoid surgery if possible.

Can the labrum regrow? Can it be made stronger? Is it a ligament or a tendon?

Can diet help?

Thanks
|

replied September 6th, 2010
torn labrum
Jump on the steroids
|

replied October 24th, 2010
Torn Labrum
I had surgery for my torn Labrum in march 2010. I had surgery on a Wednesday and started PT that Friday. I am pretty much pain free with most movements below shoulder level. Once I get above shoulder level any back, twisting, pushing, pulling gives me sharp pains deep in my shoulder. It also feels like some movements get stuck or just stop. Does anyone have any feedback I am a firefighter and want to hurry up and get back to work.
P.S. I injured my shoulder in November 2009 but the doctors did not figure out that it was a torn Labrum until March 2010. Could this have cause more problems?
|

replied January 11th, 2011
Had labrum tear pretty much 360. 8 anchors. in 7 weeks i can reach hand over head, pain free, surgery was a god scent.
|

replied January 13th, 2011
torn labrum recovery
I just had surgery two weeks ago, well shredded labrum, 5 anchors after a high speed ski accident. I pretty much have no pain unless i do a good amount of shoulder raises or keep it out of the sling for very extended periods of time. I can lift it a bit above shoulder level at this point. If there is no pain is it acceptable to continue pushing it or can you compromise the recovery by moving it too much, even in the absence of tightness or pain?
|
12 >>
Tags: Recovery, surgery
Quick Reply