Medical Questions > Womens Health > Fertility Forum

how do you end up with twins ?

Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
Other than fertility drugs, how do you end up with twins, triplets, etc? I have twins on my side of the family, but I don't know how that all works. Does it skip generations like baldness? Sorry to sound like a ditz! Rolling Eyes
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 10th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Twins are not too uncommon, even without fertility drugs. There are two ways you can naturally end up with twins.

One way is that the woman's body releases two eggs instead of one. That means during sex, two sperm can come in, one for each egg. That makes two babies called fraternal twins. They may be female/female, male/male, or female/male. They will look about as similar as any two regular siblings.

The other way is that one egg meets one sperm, but early on in development, things just get split in half, developing into two babies with the same DNA. These are called identical twins. They will be male/male or female/female. Those are the kinds of twins that you can't always tell apart easily.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Fertility
Quick Reply