Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Herpes and Genital Warts Forum

Can Herpes Be Transferred From Mouth to Genitals

Must Read
Learn the basics about sexual health issues, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a sexual health disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for sexual health disorders....
Heres wats going on my bf has herpes(on his mouth) he told me about a week after we started going out. An we have been 2geather for 10 months, I still havent got it thank goodnesss *knock on wood*. But my question really is can it be transferred from mouth 2 genitals. Like say if i did end up getting it and i gave him oral sex could he get it? If anyone knows any info. I would love 2 know. I think it can be but im still unsure of this subject.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 10th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
.yes, oral herpes can be transferred to the genitals and genital herpes can be transferred to the oral region.
|

User Profile
replied August 8th, 2007
Experienced User
Back in high school when i was dating my b/f at the time for about 2 years. He would get cold sores on his mouth from the herpes simplex virus type 1. We did have oral sex many times. But there was a time when we performed oral sex on me while he had a cold sore and didnt know. So i ended up with herpes on my genitals. When my doctors tested the sores. The results were that it was the herpes simplex virus type 1 which is the common cold sores. Type 2 is the genital herpes. Just b/c I have gotten herpes on my genitals it doesnt mean that i have genital herpes b/c thats the type 2 that I do not have. I just get the common cold sores.

**Yes herpes can be transferred oral to genitals vice versa**
|

replied August 9th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
bernibaby, that is not true. Type 1 and Type 2 are very similar with hardly any difference in DNA structure. When they are called Oral Or Genital it is only referring to where the blisters are occuring.

Type 2 can be considered Oral if it is occuring in or around the mouth and Type 1 can be considered Genital if it is occuring in the genital region. The type makes no difference except for occasionally in severity and what you have is considered Genital Herpes.
|

User Profile
replied August 10th, 2007
Experienced User
iridescent_opal wrote:
bernibaby, that is not true. Type 1 and Type 2 are very similar with hardly any difference in DNA structure. When they are called Oral Or Genital it is only referring to where the blisters are occuring.

Type 2 can be considered Oral if it is occuring in or around the mouth and Type 1 can be considered Genital if it is occuring in the genital region. The type makes no difference except for occasionally in severity and what you have is considered Genital Herpes.

Well thats what many doctors have told me. I even looked it up on the net on medical websites. There are two different strands. My medical test from the labs even said type 1. Mine dont only occur on the genitals. What i have isnt considered Genital herpes. I have the common cold sore virus.
|

Experienced User
bernibaby86 wrote:
iridescent_opal wrote:

Well thats what many doctors have told me. I even looked it up on the net on medical websites. There are two different strands. My medical test from the labs even said type 1. Mine dont only occur on the genitals. What i have isnt considered Genital herpes. I have the common cold sore virus.

Herpes simplex 1 and 2 viruses are similar in that they are both transmitted by direct contact and can sometimes cause intensely painful fluid-filled blisters, containing millions of infectious virus particles. The primary difference between the two infections is the principal site of infection--mucous membranes of the lips and nearby oro-facial skin for HSV-1 or the genital skin for HSV-2

In other words YOU HAVE GENITAL HERPES. I hope you do tell your partners that you do.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
everyday_struggle wrote:
bernibaby86 wrote:
iridescent_opal wrote:

Herpes simplex 1 and 2 viruses are similar in that they are both transmitted by direct contact and can sometimes cause intensely painful fluid-filled blisters, containing millions of infectious virus particles. The primary difference between the two infections is the principal site of infection--mucous membranes of the lips and nearby oro-facial skin for HSV-1 or the genital skin for HSV-2

In other words YOU HAVE GENITAL HERPES. I hope you do tell your partners that you do.

Well anyways....I only have the HSV-1 from what i've been told by doctors. So I'm goin by what they've told me and whats on my medical records from their lab. I dont always have breakouts on my genitals either. I've gotten breakouts around my mouth...inside mouth even on my legs sometimes. And my b/f now of 2 years knows I have it. I've told him before we started dating. He's fine with it. Heck we even have a kid together so yea of course he knows. End of story of this topic...answer the girl's question about whether herpes can be transferred to genitals orally or not?
|

replied August 13th, 2007
Experienced User
bernibaby86 wrote:
everyday_struggle wrote:
bernibaby86 wrote:
iridescent_opal wrote:

Well anyways....I only have the HSV-1 from what i've been told by doctors. So I'm goin by what they've told me and whats on my medical records from their lab. I dont always have breakouts on my genitals either. I've gotten breakouts around my mouth...inside mouth even on my legs sometimes. And my b/f now of 2 years knows I have it. I've told him before we started dating. He's fine with it. Heck we even have a kid together so yea of course he knows. End of story of this topic...answer the girl's question about whether herpes can be transferred to genitals orally or not?

I think we have already established the fact that it does. Except now I see that your trying neglecting the fact that you have this disease. Well i sure am glad that you told your boyfreind because i would be mad if you didnt tell me. You should go to a different doctor and get a more solid answer because you have really been misinformed and also to prevent from having been guilty of giving your boyfreind of 2 years this disease.
|

replied November 9th, 2011
|