Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stroke Forum

Heat Stroke Recovery

Must Read
What happens during a stroke? What increases your chances of having a stroke? Stroke basics and info on the two types of stroke here....
Strokes can happen with virtually no warning signs. Learn the symptoms of stroke so that you can take immediate action in case of emergency....
My best friend called me last night and told me that after their basketball game one of our really good friends had a heat stroke. She was fine threw the whole game, but after the whole team got into the locker room she started feeling really dizzy, throwing up, and ended up passing out and they had to call an ambulance and rushed her to the hospital. What confuses me is that she's a really healthy person.

What exactly is a heat stroke?
How in the world can someone have a heat stroke in the winter?
Will she recover ? And when ?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Myworkaddress
|

User Profile
replied May 29th, 2008
Doctor
Heat stroke is a condition where body surfers from both increased body temperature (hyperthermia) and shock due to water loss (dehydration). When body exposed to any heat (not only from the sun) that intend to increase body temperature above normal (hyperthermia), body mobilizes certain thermo-regulatory mechanisms that will keep the body temperature in normal range. The most important mechanism for preventing hyperthermia is sweating. Sweating by itself does not prevent hyperthermia but evaporation of the sweat on body's surface decreases the body's temperature and neutralizes temperature increase. This means that sweating won't be efficient if there is no evaporation. Evaporation can be disturbed if air's humidity is too big (no ventilation) or person wears improper clothes. Sweating spends body's water so it requires water intake. If water intake is not enough body will loss to much water and go into hypovolemic shock. Sweating will also stop and body temperature will increase (hyperthermia). This condition, dehydration plus hyperthermia is called heat stroke.
This means that heat stroke can happen whenever there is heat exposure, high air humidity, intensive physical efforts and reduced water intake.
Recovery depends from the heat stroke severity.
How is your friend now?
|

replied August 18th, 2010
Heat Stroke (Residual Effects & Long-Term)
I had heat stroke in a mild form, Let me assure anyone that it was the worst human experience that I have encountered. Being a triathlon coach and ex combat medic I was aware of the symptoms but my fitness was at a level that allowed me to push straight through without any cognitive or muscular cramps and signs. The heat stroke hit me witin two minutes of seeing that I stopped sweating. The residual effects are horrible. It has been one month and slowly taking walks within specific temperatures and always carrying water. Body still has not adjusted to heat variations well. The major problem is the neuroligical damage that occurs. My systollic pressure climbs and pulse drops for no reason. My cognitive awareness is perfect at times and other times in a slight fog. The worst is that my body feels like I'm having a stroke symptoms and it takes 10 hours for the body to get in check. I have had my blood checked. EKG, pulse-bp checked 3 times a day and everything on the data points says perfect. I'm in my 5th week and from some sources have told me it takes up to 4 months for the body to realign from a internal thermoneter. Let me emphasis that I worked out 5 days a week 2-4 hours of total endurance and now walk and only dream of running. Not sure if the issue is thyroid, kidney, or toxins in blood. Nothing to play around with.
|

replied August 13th, 2012
This sounds very similar to my situation. I'm curious how your symptoms progressed after this post. How long was it before you could run again? To be symptom free? I'm a hard core cyclist and I'm about 3.5 weeks after a point where I believe I suffered heat stroke and I still feel messed up. I am lite headed off and on and also very anxious about a recurrence. If I engage in even lite exercise, I feel ok at the time but shortly thereafter or the next day my symptoms of lite headedness, anxiousness, nausea, hot flashes reoccurs. These are very unpleasant. What do you do in a situation like this?
|

replied August 20th, 2012
Hi, I am so happy to know that I am not alone. About a week ago I suffered a Heat Stroke. I didnt know it was a heat stroke till now. I was out at the pool at 103 degrees, didnt have much to drink. After that went to the gym for 45 min. Also did not have much to drink. I was sweating like crazy. Got home to a hot apartment, and cooked dinner (felt the heat on my face). About an hour later I began to feel really tired. I Went to bed and suddenly my heart began to beat really fast. I thought I was having a panic attack. It did not hit me that it was heat stroke.

I went to ER and all my test results came in normal. I was confused. The next day I was tired. On the third day after this I came home from work, back to the hot apartment and I suddenly began to get a rapid heart beat and anxiety. I went back to ER, and dr. said it was stress.

Today three days later after my last visit to ER. I get hot flashes and cant tolerate the heat. I was beginning to think I had some kind of anxiety disorder.

My body is now exhausted and confused.
please keep me posted.
|